The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 60, July 1956 - April, 1957 Page: 579
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
names in San Bernard," but in the current work the statement has
been made to read, without ellipsis and quotation marks, "the
census of 1860 lists 20o farmers in San Bernard in 1860" (p. 11).
The book contains a list of postmasters and doctors who served
Cat Spring, a partial list of school teachers, and a complete list
of the officers and members of the Cat Spring Agricultural So-
ciety. There are also extremely short accounts of bands, choirs,
and churches, and a more lengthy but poorly arranged discus-
sion (see pp. 2-3, 92-95) of public schools at Cat Spring, fol-
lowed by data on the erection of schools at Clarksville, Cleve-
land, Neuburgh, and Millheim.
Two sections of this publication entitle it to a worthy place
among the ever increasing number of local histories appearing
in print in recent years. One of these contains a "rough alpha-
betical list of 145 family names of early settlers, principally of
the Cat Spring area, accompanied by some biographical and
genealogical data, but often minus birth and death dates and
exact family relationship, much of which, the reviewer is con-
fident, could have been established through a search of county
probate records, early newspapers, Land Office records, Claims
Papers in the Texas State Archives, family Bibles, church records,
and other sources too numerous to mention here. The other
section, dealing with agriculture and transportation of the Cat
Spring area and the local agricultural society, written by E. P.
Krueger, contains valuable data on the early development of these
fields drawn from the Minutes of the Society and is woefully in-
complete. According to Dun & Bradstreet, Cat Spring had a popu-
lation of 350 persons and 15 business establishments in 1939;
3oo and 9, respectively, in 1951; and 200 and 9, respectively, in
1955; yet, the reader will find very little on the economic, social,
and cultural life of the area since 1890, except for a brief mention
of the Austin County Game and Fish Protective Association; the
rise in land values over the years; the intersection of two new
highways near the Cat Spring Pavilion; a "ladies seed committee"
that now selects the garden seed to be planted; the Cat Spring
Butcher Club (founded in the 1870's and still operating); and
the fact that some time before 1927 there was a "Cat Spring
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 60, July 1956 - April, 1957, periodical, 1957; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101163/m1/629/: accessed January 17, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.