The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 60, July 1956 - April, 1957 Page: 581
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
prise which he might even have to "cuss into existence." Himself
a man of great heart, Lomax describes as the "Tender Tempest"
the shy man who could be poetically profane while he con-
cealed sentiment and generosity under a "gruff, brusque outward
End papers carrying E. M. Schiwetz' drawings of Varner Plan-
tation and the Hogg home in Houston and Malcolm Thurgood's
sketches of Will C. Hogg and James Stephen Hogg combine with
the excellent taste of the format to make the book one that would
be prized by Will C. Hogg the connoisseur.
The University of Texas
The History of Houston Heights, z89r-z198. By Sister M. Agatha.
Illustrated by Victor J. Green. Houston (Premier Printing
Company), 1956. Pp. xiv+x33. Map, illustrations, index.
The author tells us that she had only intended making a scrap-
book for the Houston Heights Library and had promised to cor-
rect various newspaper clippings which comprised the only written
history the Heights could boast. By drawing upon her own child-
hood memories of the Heights, and seeking additional recollec-
tions from early citizens, a large quantity of notes were soon
collected which seemed to demand something more than an an-
Oscar Martin Carter and his Nebraska associates formed the
Omaha and South Texas Land Company to develop certain real
estate located northwest of Houston, Texas. The tract of land was
seventy-five feet above sea level which placed it at least twenty-
three feet higher than the center of adjoining Houston. Follow-
ing impeccable logic, the promoters named the area the Houston
Heights. According to one of their advertisements, Carter's land
company spent a half million dollars "in cold cash" before any of
the 11,ooo lots were opened for sale in 1892. This sum of money
was paid for cleaning streets, building bridges, constructing rail-
road and trolley tracks, and various buildings. The passage of
four years found the community with sufficient population to
incorporate and, following the majority will, a "village" was or-
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 60, July 1956 - April, 1957, periodical, 1957; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101163/m1/631/: accessed October 20, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.