The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 60, July 1956 - April, 1957 Page: 76
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
Red River Statio-Aln Address
GLENN O. WILSON*
ON behalf of those men now living who went up the trail,
and in memory of those many who have crossed over
the river into the Great Beyond and of those pioneers
and soldiers who, during the dark days of the Civil War, forted
up here, I say "Thank you," to the members of the 1956 Chis-
holm Trail Cavalcade for coming this way.
Almost seventy years have passed since Red River Station dis-
appeared and almost one hundred years since Captain Rowland
swore in one hundred men as members of a Company of the
Texas Frontier Regiment. Thus Red River Station came into
being by reason of the Civil War, and now like that unfortunate
era has "gone with the wind."
When The Station first came into being, a stockade was
erected for the protection of the settlers. The exact location is
not now known. The first houses naturally were built of logs
and most of them were located along the west banks of Salt
Creek, others being located in and around the stockade. From an
examination of the area, it is believed the stockade was located
within the field, which is west and northwest of the Crenshaw
house; the reason for this belief is that being so located it would
be clear and open for fire against attacking forces from all direc-
tions. This arrangement, or set-up, continued until the great
herds came, and within a short time thereafter the settlement
took on a new look, typical of all early frontier towns.
It is possible somewhat to reconstruct mentally the main street
of Red River Station, which, by the way, in this particular local-
ity was called "The Station." Somewhere near the residence of
Lee Crenshaw stood the hotel operated by Molly Love, the Clan-
tons, and others. Across from the hotel stood the livery stable,
*This address contains in substance the remarks made by Glenn O. Wilson at
Nocona, Texas, on May 3, 1956, to the Texas delegation retracing the Chisholm
Here’s what’s next.
Show all pages in this issue.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 60, July 1956 - April, 1957, periodical, 1957; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101163/m1/89/ocr/: accessed January 24, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.