The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 60, July 1956 - April, 1957 Page: 77
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Notes and Documents
and close thereby stood one of the ever-present and necessary
blacksmith shops; others were in the town from time to time,
some being operated by Grayson, Thurston and Yates, and others.
From southeast where the street started near the creek, the street
ran west for possibly about a block and then made a turn to the
northwest. On the north side, at the bend of the street, was a
corner saloon, one likely operated by T. J. Pollard, who was a
member of the troops stationed there, and who remained at The
Station after the company was disbanded. There were other
saloons and gambling houses, the locations of which have not
been determined. It is known that a general store was situated
across the street from the corner saloon and as the years passed
and The Station became important as an outfitting post for the
trail drivers, other establishments came into being until in its
heyday twelve or fifteen business houses existed along the main
street. It is not generally known, but Red River Station was first
officially named "Salt Creek," being so designated by the United
States Post Office Department in 1873. In 1884 its name was
officially changed to Red River Station and continued as such
until in 1888 when the Post Office was discontinued. Thus The
Station died because of the railroads which took away its reason
for existence after the Civil War days.
Salt Creek played an important part in the location of this
settlement here at the beginning of the Civil War. The reason was
that there were many fine springs along the creek which fur-
nished water to the settlement even during the worst dry years.
Some of the springs are still in existence. Another reason for the
settlement was that this was a well-known and established crossing
on Red River even before the Civil War. The Indians had used
it and apparently it was the intention of the frontier forces to
block this crossing and prevent the Indians from using it in any
great numbers. The Indians selected it because the buffalo had
established a large crossing here.
By far the greater majority of the cattle herds came into The
Station from the southeast and after crossing Salt Creek east and
south of the present Crenshaw house, came up the hill and on
through town to the crossings north and northwest of the busi-
ness section of town. By driving along the north edge of the
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 60, July 1956 - April, 1957, periodical, 1957; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101163/m1/90/: accessed May 21, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.