The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 60, July 1956 - April, 1957 Page: 78
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
Crenshaw field bordering the river, it can be easily seen why this
spot was chosen for a river crossing. Almost all along the northern
border of the Crenshaw field there are clear evidences of the
crossing. The river channel in those days evidently ran close to
the bluff on the south side and the cattle did not have very far
to go from the rim of the bluff to the water. Currently as one
drives along the field's edge, it is easy to see that the river has
receded from the bluff.
It is the belief of some that a portion of the herds came in
from the southwest, having possibly followed the California Trail
almost to Salt Creek and then followed west of the creek to the
crossing. Many of the herds traveled almost due west from as
far off as Gainesville to make this crossing. There were natural
reasons for this, mainly because of the suitability of the crossing
for large herds, and also because after crossing the river they
had open rolling plains all the way to Abilene, Kansas.
The cemetery at Red River Station is situated on a hill and
a west bluff of Salt Creek, southwest of the present Crenshaw
house; it can be seen after leaving the residence area of the
Crenshaw farm south of the fields and west of the barn. A visit
to this cemetery is worth while. The first graves of this cemetery
were placed there shortly after the settlement was established.
There are evidences of mass burials; several family markers show
dates of 1862-1863; soldiers of the frontier company and trail
drivers are buried there. Levi Bennett, one of the captains of
the ranger forces which held out here after the troops were moved
to South Texas in 1864, is buried there. There are many un-
marked graves, a great majority being those of small children.
Indians are buried there who died in the stockade where they
were being held after being brought from South Texas prepara-
tory to being transferred into the Indian Territory.
Upon leaving the northern edge of the Crenshaw field and
passing out into the public road, one passes by the ferry crossing
of Red River Station, about which there are some interesting
stories. This ferry was operated in the very early days of the
settlement by Henry Heaton, a peg-legged man who had also
been one of the many freighters in and out of The Station. Heaton
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 60, July 1956 - April, 1957, periodical, 1957; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101163/m1/91/: accessed August 23, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.