The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 61, July 1957 - April, 1958 Page: 241
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Highlights of Early Harrison County
And this the new settlement was so named when Smith returned
to make it his home.
By 1838, other communities were established, and on January
28, 1839, the Congress of the Republic of Texas created the county
of Harrison from Shelby County and named the new govern-
mental district for Jonas Harrison, a brilliant lawyer of that day.
President Mirabeau B. Lamar appointed George B. Adkins of
Port Caddo the first chief justice of the new county. He promptly
called an election which was held at the homes of Thomas Tim-
mins, three miles west of Elysian Fields, and William J. Wells,
six miles north of Marshall, to locate a site for the county seat.
The 150 voters of the county chose Greensborough on the Sabine,
about twelve miles south of the present county seat. Greensbor-
ough, near the place now known as Board's Ferry, was county
seat for a year after which, because of the unhealthy climate, it
was moved to Pulaski, about thirty miles southeast of Marshall
on the east bank of the Sabine and presently in Panola County.
At about that time, 1841, the Congress of the Republic of
Texas passed an act dividing Harrison County into two judicial
counties or districts. In every respect the two districts were to
function as separate counties except they were not to have sep-
arate representation. The northern half was to be called Panola
County and the southern half, which is now Panola, was the
Harrison Judicial District or County. This necessitated the selec-
tion of a county seat for the northern district, the judicial county
of Panola, and a commission consisting of Seaborn Robinson,
John M. Clifton, David Hill, Peter Whetstone, and James A.
Williams was created to select a site for the county seat. Whet-
stone, one of the commissioners, had been living in the county
with his wife, Dicy, and their children, having located his league
and labor of land there. As an inducement to locate the county
seat on his land, Whetstone offered to donate the land for the
courthouse square and the streets, eighty lots in the east half of
the town and thirty in the west, ten acres for a school "in the
interest of the progress of literature," and a lot for a church. The
offer was accepted and Marshall, the county seat of Panola Judi-
cial County, was located in the center of the Peter Whetstone
Tradition says that John M. Clifton, one of the commissioners,
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 61, July 1957 - April, 1958, periodical, 1958; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101164/m1/299/: accessed April 30, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.