The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 61, July 1957 - April, 1958 Page: 350
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Old Red River Station
GLEN O. WILSON
RED RIVER STATION came into being by reason of human
conflict, the Civil War. It passed from the stage of human
events by reason of human progress and development, the
coming of the railroad, which took away its remaining reason for
existence. Its span of life was about twenty-five years, divided as
follows: (1) the period during which a company of state militia
was stationed there; (2) the period following the transfer of
the militia company to South Texas in 1864 until the end of
Indian depredations, which might be termed the days of the local
rangers; and (3) the period in which the great herds of cattle
came through on their way to Kansas, ending with the advent of
Currently Red River Station's greatest renown is the fact that
it was the "jumping-off" point of the Chisholm Trail.
An illustration is inserted here which is an aerial photograph
of the Red River Station area, located in the northwestern part
of Montague County, about seven miles downstream from where
U. S. Highway 81 crosses Red River and nine miles northwest
of Nocona. The picture looks from Texas northward across Red
River into Oklahoma. The narrow winding stream emptying
into the river at the large sandbar is Salt Creek. The settlement
(marked "a") was situated just west of this narrow bend in Salt
Creek. The cemetery (marked "b") is located in a pasture with
the eastern extremity of same on a high bluff overlooking Salt
Creek. The hotel (also near "a"), made famous by Mollie Love,
was located near the Crenshaw ranch house. To the right of the
settlement in the narrow bend of the creek was an area known
as Tramps' Flat. To the left can be seen a cut in the bluff of the
river at the end of this road; this cut was the road (marked "c")
which led to the ferry. The cattle crossings were between the
ferry and the mouth of Salt Creek. The majority of the herds
crossed just east of the ferry site, here shown as the grassy swag
(marked "d") cut in the bluff of the river. At this point tradition
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 61, July 1957 - April, 1958, periodical, 1958; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101164/m1/428/?rotate=270: accessed June 29, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.