The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 61, July 1957 - April, 1958 Page: 425
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Located just northwest of Stephen F. Austin's colony, the Milam
area was a prize catch for the Anglo-American empresarios, and
the Tennessee Company was not long in obtaining possession.
The Mexican government granted the Tennessee Company land
in 1822, but it was not until 1834 that settlers began to come in
and take up bottom lands along the streams and rivers.
The author devotes a chapter to the Milam County of the
Texas Republic which took in all or part of thirty-three present
Texas counties. Created first as Milam Municipality, the area was
named Milam County by the first legislature of the Republic for
Benjamin R. Milam. Prominent Milam County politicians of
the time included Sterling C. Robertson and George C. Childress,
who was selected as the chairman of the committee which drafted
the Texas Declaration of Independence.
Indian fights were common in Milam County between 1836
and 1850. Niel McLennan, Sr., Shapley P. Ross, and George B.
Erath were Indian fighters in the area, and all three were later
among the first settlers in McLennan County. The best known
Indian raid took place at Fort Parker on the Navasota River in
May, 1836. The well-known Cynthia Ann Parker was taken
prisoner in this raid. Toward the end of the century more settlers
moved to the area and the threat of Indian attacks subsided.
Cameron, laid out as a town in 1846 by George Green and
George B. Erath, was named for Ewen B. Cameron, and the
town became the county seat in the same year. Mrs. Batte has
included interesting descriptions of early Cameron as seen by
The Civil War had its effects on Milam County as most of the
men served in the Confederate ranks. Many were killed. An in-
teresting letter from Captain Charles Buckholts to his brother is
reproduced, because it describes some of the problems faced by
the soldiers of Milam County serving with General H. H. Sibley
in New Mexico.
Since Milam County has remained primarily agricultural, the
Grange movement naturally found a home there during the last
part of the nineteenth century. At election time the county went
strong for James S. Hogg because of his desire to regulate the
railroads which had been built in the county in the 188o's. Toward
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 61, July 1957 - April, 1958, periodical, 1958; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101164/m1/507/: accessed May 26, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.