The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 62, July 1958 - April, 1959 Page: 111
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
The Bulletin of the San Jacinto Museum of History Associa-
tion (Volume III, No. 2, 1958) deals with the Texas norther, the
major phenomenon in Texas weather. There are also notations
concerning the steamer Laura.
An illustration and note concerning the Texas German Pioneer
Monument erected in 1938 appears in the American-German
Review for February, 1958. *
Volume I, Number 2, of the Texas Gulf Coast Historical Asso-
ciation Publications consists of "Select Letters of Harris Kempner
(1837-1894) ," edited by James A. Tinsley.
Harris Kempner, born in Poland in 1837, arrived in America
penniless in 1854. In 1857 he opened a small general store in Cold
Springs, San Jacinto County, Texas. He removed to Galveston in
1870 and became one of the merchant princes of Texas of the last
century. He achieved success as a merchant, financier, and land
This publication presents selected letters showing Kempner's
careful business methods, his faith in land, his devotion to his
family and to civic enterprise. *
The Texas Library Journal for December, 1957, contains an
article by Minnie B. Cameron on "The Reference Card Index
and Texas Reference Vertical File in the San Antonio Public
Library." Mrs. Cameron, the author, has recently retired as head
of the San Antonio Public Library's reference department after
thirty-seven years of service. Mrs. Cameron tells how two refer-
ence files were developed in the library to assist those interested
in research in Texas history topics. The Texana materials in the
San Antonio Library have grown through the years and much of
the growth and usefulness was accomplished by and is to be attrib-
uted to Mrs. Cameron's devotion to her work. Appreciation of
her services will long ring down the avenues of Texas history.
On January 13, 1958, Chauncey Stillman of New York pre-
sented to the Brownsville Historical Association a deed to Lots
8 and 9, Block 89, 1301 East Washington Street, to be used as a
museum and a historical library for the Brownsville area. This
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 62, July 1958 - April, 1959, periodical, 1959; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101173/m1/133/: accessed March 30, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.