The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 62, July 1958 - April, 1959 Page: 197
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
The Texas Road to Secession and War
Marshall selected substitute editors with the policy of the
Gazette in mind. William Byrd, a graduate of Virginia Military
School, Lexington, Virginia, edited the paper from November,
186o, until Marshall returned on April 13, 1861. An Austin
lawyer, he became adjutant general of Texas when that de-
partment was organized in 1861. George W. White edited the
Gazette from May 25, 1861, through June 29, 1861, while Mar-
shall was absent in Virginia. White also had a law office on Con-
gress Avenue. Dr. I. R. Worrall, a land agent in Austin, became
editor of the Gazette with the August lo, 1861, issue. The mast-
head continued to carry Marshall's name, but Worrall was the
force that kept the Gazette going until Marshall's estate was
settled in June, 1863, when David Richardson, formerly of the
Galveston News, became editor and publisher.
During 186o and most of 1861, the Gazette, published every
Saturday, had four large, eight-column pages. The nameplate
was an Old English "State Gazette," with a picture of the state
capitol between the two words. Page 1 usually included about
three columns of advertisements, including the small ads of
doctors and lawyers of Austin and of other cities in Texas. The
remainder of the page was filled with closely printed matter,
usually considerably older than news on the inside pages. Page 2
had little advertising. The masthead was in the upper left corner,
and editorials usually filled the first two columns. Pages 3 and
4 were devoted primarily to advertising. Thomas H. Kent was
business manager of the Gazette in 186o and 1861, and he often
traveled around the state to collect for or sell subscriptions to
The last supply of newsprint ordered from A. J. Van Winkle
in New York was not permitted to leave the port.22 The Gazette
succeeded in getting a small supply of paper from New Orleans
and Galveston, but the July 6, 1861, number was the last large,
eight-column issue. The small size beginning July 13 was called
"Our War Size," and the editor promised a larger paper when
the blockade should be lifted on Texas ports. The "war size" hadl
four pages of five columns each, about fourteen inches deep. The
22Ibid., July 6, 1861, p. 2.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 62, July 1958 - April, 1959, periodical, 1959; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101173/m1/240/: accessed May 24, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.