The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 62, July 1958 - April, 1959 Page: 213
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
The Texas Road to Secession and War
fortune to meet the enemies of our country on the field of battle,
with that flag floating over us, who would not nobly dare to die
beneath its folds?"'s That same day, Captain Carter's company
started for San Antonio. The members returned within a few days
without having engaged the enemy since the United States troops
had already surrendered.
The first action for the Austin City Light Infantry Company
came on Wednesday, May 1, 1861, when the governor received
word that General William Selby Harney, a Texan who remained
in the United States Army, was mustering men for Federal
service. Governor Clark dispatched a squad of Captain Carter's
men to the suburban residence of General Harney near Austin,
at the present site of Grace Hall near the corner of Whitis and
Twenty-seventh streets. The squad took possession of four pieces
of artillery at the residence despite claims of Harney's agents that
the cannon were private property. Said the Gazette, "[The cannon
are] ready to be employed against General Harney or any of
Lincoln's men who may now desire to visit these parts for a
hostile purpose." The article ended with "General Harney has
a beautiful residence near Austin, and it would bring a good
round sum to our treasury if confiscated."82 Harney continued to
serve against the Confederacy until he was captured at Harper's
Ferry in 1861. About May to George Hancock, Harney's agent,
turned the unoccupied buildings at the Harney place over to
Governor Clark for housing soldiers who were passing through
Austin on the way to San Antonio.88
Saturday, May 4, was a gala day for Austin. Early in the morn-
ing Captain John J. Good's Dallas Artillery Company (50 men),
Captain Samuel J. Richardson's W. P. Lane Rangers (i io men),
and Captain Peter Hardeman's Company (115 men) were es-
corted from Lamar's Cottage, one mile north of Austin, into town
by the Austin City Light Infantry Company. The Austin com-
pany chartered the Avenue Hotel and Cook's Hotel and fed the
entire military aggregation. The Dallas company, half of Harde-
man's company, and the first platoon of the Austin company ate
at Cook's Hotel; the rest of the troops ate at the Avenue Hotel.
81Texas State Gazette, May 11, 1861, p. 2.
8szbid., May 4, 1861, p. 3-.
salbid., May 11, 1861, p. 3.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 62, July 1958 - April, 1959, periodical, 1959; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101173/m1/256/: accessed January 17, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.