The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 62, July 1958 - April, 1959 Page: 8

This periodical is part of the collection entitled: Southwestern Historical Quarterly and was provided to The Portal to Texas History by the Texas State Historical Association.

View a full description of this periodical.

Southwestern Historical Quarterly

150 sightless citizens of the state. These also were new institutions,
the School for the Blind opening in 1856 and that for the deaf in
January, 1857.
On the average, each doctor would have had over four hundred
patients. Many who listed medicine as a profession combined it
with other callings as Dr. T. C. Hill, also a druggist, and Dr.
N. D. Labadie, who advertised as an importer of drugs, medicine,
dye-stuff, and paints. The Texas Medical Association was organ-
ized in 1853 to promote the welfare of the profession and to
exclude from its ranks "unworthy and unqualified persons.""
Its membership, which incidentally did not have a second meet-
ing for sixteen years, might not have cared for the advertisement
in the Almanac for i86o by Dr. Robert Kelly of Houston, whose
card read: "Cures cancers, tumors, etc. and challenges the Med-
ical Faculty to compete with him in his cures." He could not
have referred to the faculty of the Texas Medical College, which
was chartered in February, 186o, but was not really organized
until 1864.
The newspapers and periodicals of the period were filled with
notices of patent medicines. The Almanac cited Dr. M'Lane's
Celebrated Liver Pills and his equally Celebrated Worm Specific
or Vermifuge, Dr. Billings' Carminative and Astringent Syrup,
Dalley's Magical Pain Extractor for healing burns and scalds, and
Dr. Wright's Celebrated Rejuvenating Elixir, recommended for
general debility, general irritability, low spirits and "confused
ideas,"--no doubt the 186o counterpart for tranquilizers. E. P.
Angell of Galveston dispensed homeopathic books and medicines.
Texans despairing of adequate care at home might go to New
Orleans to Dr. James's Dispensary "for the cure of all private
maladies" or to Dr. L. C. Thomas of Southern Medical Hall for
surgery.
An interesting-but somewhat confusing-advertisement was
that for Vandevee's Schiedam Schnapps, "the only gin in Holland
recommended by the Faculty there." This "GUARDIAN OF HEALTH"
for the ladies was "more powerful than any vermifuge for the
EXPULSION OF WORMS in children of all ages and was recom-
S1Pat I. Nixon, A History of the Texas Medical Association, z853-1953 (Austin,
1953), 15.

Upcoming Pages

Here’s what’s next.

27 of 731
28 of 731
29 of 731
30 of 731

Show all pages in this issue.

This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.

Citing and Sharing

Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.

Reference the current page of this Periodical.

Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 62, July 1958 - April, 1959, periodical, 1959; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101173/m1/26/ocr/: accessed January 17, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.