The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 62, July 1958 - April, 1959 Page: 12
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
Presbyterians published the Minutes of the Synod of Texas first
Miss Rankin had rejoiced in 1850 that "the hallowed influence
of the 'Sons of Temperance' had spread its blisful light," and con-
tinued: "It is a fact worthy of note, that nothing is done imper-
fectly in Texas; if an object receives attention at all, the people
enter into the spirit of it with enthusiastic devotion."26 The
LaGrange Division of the Sons of Temperance printed its consti-
tution and bylaws in 1849. In a similar field of publication were
sermons (often eulogistic obituaries), doctrinal expositions, Ma-
sonic speeches, or addresses to urge Christian Education.
Closely related to denominational publications were those dis-
tributed by the educational institutions, particularly the church
schools. Samuel McKinney's address at the laying of the corner-
stone of Austin College was printed at Huntsville in 1851. The
colleges first catalogue appeared in 1854; the 186o catalogue in-
cluded the address at the inauguration of President Rufus W.
Bailey in 1859. F. B. Sexton's address on "Human Progress," de-
livered before the literary societies of the college, was printed
Baylor University was established during the days of the Repub-
lic, but its first catalogue was not printed until 1852, after which
separate catalogues were issued for the male and female depart-
ments. Baylor's literary societies included the Erosophian and
Philomathesian, as indicated by the publication of R. H. Talia-
ferro's oration before those groups in 1854. Rutersville College,
earliest institution of higher learning in the state, published its
first catalogue in 1840. By 1858 the school was designated as the
Texas Monumental and Military Institute and was involved with
the Texas Conference of the Methodist Church over a claim to
the college lots and buildings.
Winkler's introduction to the Check List, from which these
items have been gleaned, gives a history of printing in Texas.
Between 1845 and 1861, printing establishments spread from
eighteen to forty-one separate villages and towns. Job printing
was done chiefly in San Antonio, Anderson, Houston, Galveston,
and Austin. Almost one-third of the imprints listed were from
26Rankin, Texas in 185o, p. 28.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 62, July 1958 - April, 1959, periodical, 1959; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101173/m1/30/: accessed July 24, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.