The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 62, July 1958 - April, 1959 Page: 276
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
Texas. The bulletin recounts an almost unbelievable industrial
development in the field of airplane building in North Texas
since about 1940. Barksdale makes a real contribution to the
recent industrial history of Texas.
McMahan's Chapel, situated in the scenic piney woods of East
Texas, eleven miles east of San Augustine, was designated by the
Texas Centennial Commission as the site of the first formally
organized Protestant group in Texas. The church had its begin-
ning in 1833, and annual historical pilgrimages have been made
to it within recent years. C. A. West, president of the Texas
Conference Historical Society of the Methodist Church, has done
a valuable four-page brochure which gives a sketch history of
The June 22, 1958, issue of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram
contains an account by Autis McMahan of the Hamilton County
centennial celebration. In addition to details concerning the cel-
ebration and illustrations of the F. Marion Graves home in Ham-
ilton and the Hawley Gerrell house in Indian Gap, the article
relates a number of interesting historical facts about the first
settlers of the county. Particularly noteworthy is the heroic story
of Ann Whitney, the frontier school teacher of Warlene Valley
who sacrificed her life in 1867 to save her ten pupils from a
marauding band of Comanche Indians. The nobility of Ann
Whitney's selfless defense of her charges has been revived and is
reflected in the action of present-day Hamilton County residents
to commemorate the inspiring episode with a suitable memorial
to the brave pioneer teacher. Knowledge of the incident and
Ann Whitney's burial site faded into obscurity after the county's
school children had contributed funds for a grave marker in
1898. More than half a century later the dramatic story was
uncovered by Oren Jo Pool, who also discovered the forgotten
Whitney grave while she was researching Hamilton County
history for a master's thesis at the University of Texas. Accom-
panying the McMahan article is a picture of the impressive new
Whitney monument, whose dedication in July provided a fitting
climax for the Hamilton County celebration.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 62, July 1958 - April, 1959, periodical, 1959; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101173/m1/321/: accessed February 24, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.