The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 62, July 1958 - April, 1959 Page: 277
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
The April, 1958, issue of the Missouri Historical Review car-
ried the following historical news note:
Stephen F. Austin, whose Missouri experience included work
as a storekeeper, manager of lead mines, director of the Bank
of St. Louis, adjutant of militia, and member of the Territorial
Legislature, 1814-182o, and who later won fame as the "father
of Texas," was voted into the National Cowboy Hall of Fame,
Oklahoma City, by trustees of that shrine at their January
Coleman County was created from Brown and Travis counties
by the 'Texas Legislature in 1858. The new county was named
for Robert M. Coleman, who fought in the battle of San Jacinto,
signed the Texas Declaration of Independence, and was a member
of the Texas Constitutional Convention.
In the last days of June and the first part of July, the Coleman
County people observed their centennial year with extensive
celebrations and a wide pattern of observances.
The first settlers in Coleman County located southeast of
present Santa Anna. Santa Anna Mountain is a prominent and
long-established landmark in West Texas. The mountain was
probably named for the celebrated Kiowa chief Santanta, but the
spelling was revised by the Post Office Department.
The first community or town to develop in the county area
was called "Trick 'Em" by cowboys and trail drivers along the
John Chisum Trail. Bill Franks, who operated the store and supply
station, was widely known for his tricks-practical jokes which
included selling colored water to cowboys instead of whiskey.
"Trick 'Em" evolved into Trickum, which the Post Office De-
partment changed to Trickham when a post office was granted.
An early miller at Trickham was M. R. Cheatham, who is
reputed to be the first person to sell flour in sacks, rather than
in barrels. His sacks were labeled "Trickham's Best."
The army post of Camp Colorado was established in July,
1857, on Jim Ned Creek. About it grew a bustling community,
and Coleman County was finally organized in 1876.
John W. Buchanan, 1460 South Tejon Street, Denver 23,
Colorado, has written a letter of inquiry concerning cannon cap-
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 62, July 1958 - April, 1959, periodical, 1959; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101173/m1/322/: accessed August 20, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.