The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 62, July 1958 - April, 1959 Page: 391
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Alpine, has announced that the Roy W. Aldrich Library of more
than ten thousand items is ready for use by students of Texas and
southwestern history. Particularly strong in personal narratives,
natural science, fiction, history, and travel, the library includes a
carefully selected Texana collection, which Captain Aldrich appar-
ently developed with particular reference to the Big Bend-Davis
Mountains region where he spent a great deal of time while he
was in the Ranger service and after his retirement. It is fitting,
therefore, that the Aldrich Library should find permanent hous-
ing in Trans-Pecos Texas. The Association extends warm com-
mendation and congratulations to Sul Ross State College for its
outstanding service to the cause of state and regional history in
the acquisition and preservation of the Aldrich Library.
With characteristic enthusiasm, the San Antonio Historical
Association has launched its fall program of activities. President
Anthony Van Tuyl and Secretary Midge Langendorff have re-
ported that the first two meetings have already been held in
Alamo Hall. At the September 19 meeting, Sam Woolford spoke
on "The Cyclone of 19o8," and Mr. and Mrs. S. W. Pease pre-
sented "A Pictorial Visit to Thirty-four Texas Forts" at the Octo-
ber 17 meeting.
Dr. Lowell H. Harrison, chairman of the department of history
at West Texas State College in Canyon, has announced a number
of departmental changes. Frederick W. Rathjen has been granted
a leave of absence to continue work on his doctorate at the Uni-
versity of Texas, and Milton V. Backman, Jr., of the University of
Pennsylvania, and Duane F. Guy, of the University of Kansas,
have been appointed instructors in history.
William Fielding Smith, 411 9 San Jacinto Street, Houston 4,
a 1958 new member of the Association, was extended a Theta
Sigma Phi Writer's Award in October for his book Diamond Six,
a historical account of Wesley Smith, his grandfather, and the
founding of the Diamond Six Ranch in 1844. Perhaps cattle and
engineering have contributed most to the forward progress and
advancement of Texas and William Fielding Smith has distin-
guished himself in both fields. Smith is the owner of the Diamond
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 62, July 1958 - April, 1959, periodical, 1959; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101173/m1/460/: accessed October 21, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.