The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 62, July 1958 - April, 1959 Page: 394
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
ticles on various county institutions and business firms; sketches
of the towns and communities of Leaday, Santa Anna, Glen Cove,
Coleman, Novice, Shields, Burkett, Trickham, and Rockwood;
and specific biographical material on Frank Alexander, L. S.
and John West, Sam Gilliland, Barclay Martin, Mabel Day, For-
man Fowler, Richard Sherwood Bowen, F. M. Bowen, Sr., Robert
Leander Dunman, J. M. Elkins, J. E. Stevens, and J. E. McCord.
Next summer the University of Texas will change to a single
nine-week summer session, in place of the two six-week terms held
during the past summers. The chief advantage of the change,
University officials say, is that the quality of summer work will
improve. Under the nine-week arrangement, a course will be
more nearly like that taught in a regular fall-winter-spring ses-
sion. One immediate benefit is that spring high school graduates
can begin full-scale college work in the summer by taking such
basic freshman courses as English, history, and mathematics be-
fore they dig into regular fall courses.
The Association has received an interesting stamp and Texas
postmark collection from Mrs. B. P. Chamberlain of Charlottes-
ville, Virginia. The collection contains several thousand items
mounted on some five hundred sheets. For permanent preserva-
tion, the material has been placed in the archives of the Eugene
C. Barker Texas History Center.
An interesting notice of the Throckmorton County centennial
celebration was published in the September 21, 1958, issue of
the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. Among the plans announced for
the October celebration was the publication of a special historical
edition of the Throckmorton Tribune containing material gath-
ered from the descendants of the pioneer settlers of the area.
Special attention was given to several of the more permanent
structures that have survived from the county's past. Among these
were the B. W. Reynolds home in the Reynolds Bend of the Clear
Fork, the near-by N. L. Bartholomew home, and the scattered
stones that mark the site of Camp Cooper some fifteen miles
southwest of the present town of Throckmorton.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 62, July 1958 - April, 1959, periodical, 1959; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101173/m1/463/: accessed October 23, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.