The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 62, July 1958 - April, 1959 Page: 437
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
B Hall of Texas
,On March 17, 1937, the B Hall reunion unanimously passed
a resolution opposing the Hall's destruction, adopting the slogan,
"You may tear down the Alamo, but never B Hall.""11
The seriousness and sadness of the 1937 reunion, however, did
not dampen the memories of the past. Many in attendance then
still report they recalled the stunt of having an inmate's trunk
hauled to the front door of his girl's house. They remembered
that the Hall was the "citadel of democracy"-that bed slats had
convinced Dr. Schoch he should lead the Hall's musicians-that
the wearing of pajamas was not tolerated in the Hall-that more
than 4,000 boys had lived there-that the democratic spirit of
B Hall was anathema to some faculty members and group leaders
-that B Hall never had a comfortable chair except when bor-
rowed from the Woman's Building-that obscene jokes were taboo
-that stacking a room was a good offset to overdecoration-that
the removal of bed slats from a roommate's bed or sewing together
his breeches legs was always helpful.119 In their kangaroo court
there were no suspended sentences or invoking of the Fifth
On May 30, 1952, University Chancellor James P. Hart rec-
ommended to the Board of Regents that B Hall be razed "due
to failure in the walls ... which creates serious hazard of the
collapse of the structure." The Regents approved Chancellor
Hart's recommendation on July 12, 1952. In October, 1952, B
Hall came down. The "demolition engineer" found the interior
of the original Hall reinforced by more than ten I o x 8 H columns,
apparently placed there in 1925 and long since forgotten.
On December 5, 1952, the Regents' minutes record:
Chancellor Hart reported to the Board that Old B Hall had now
been torn down and that Walter E. Long and Charlton Hall, ex-
students of the University, had purchased for the University a
curved stone balcony, io,ooo clean bricks, cornice blocks, 16o feet
24, 1958; Tom Gambrell to Walter E. Long, July 1, 1958; Arnold Kellersberger to
Walter E. Long, June 18, 1958; T. Edgar Johnson to Walter E. Long, July 9,
1958; John L. Lewis to Walter E. Long, July 9, 1958; W. L. Bradfield to Walter
E. Long, August 21, 1958; John Focht to Walter E. Long, July 17, 1958; Thornton
Hardie to Walter E. Long, August 24, 1958; John Glithero to Walter E. Long,
September 2, 1958 (MSS., in possession of Walter E. Long, Austin, Texas).
11sBrown, B Hall, Texas, 9.
llbid., 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 9, 11, 28, 76, 111.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 62, July 1958 - April, 1959, periodical, 1959; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101173/m1/532/: accessed September 23, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.