The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 62, July 1958 - April, 1959 Page: 471
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Pershing's Chinese Refugees in Texas
Pacific Railroad train left Columbus, bound for San Antonio.
Aboard were Lieutenant James B. Ord, military commander,
William Tracy Page, civilian advisor, the Chinese consul general,
T. K. Fong, with his party, and the entire company of refugees.
Pershing's Chinese would soon be working for the army in Texas,
and under the eye of their old friend, the general himself, so they
When the Southern Pacific special slowed to a stop beside the
Spanish-mission styled railroad station in San Antonio, it was
5:30 in the afternoon of June 7. Everybody was glad to detrain
as soon as possible, for it had been a hot day's ride through long
arid stretches of western Texas. Lieutenant Ord, as officer-in-
charge, was first to alight and be welcomed by a quartermaster
detachment with trucks come to haul men and baggage to Camp
Wilson, contiguous to Fort Sam Houston." At his direction the
wooden-bodied, solid-rubber-tired trucks were backed to the wide
doors of the baggage coaches and unloading began immediately.
Eagerly, the Chinese packed each truck with several hundred suit-
cases and boxes, the personal property of the internees. Other
trucks were loaded with the tents, cots, bedding, stoves, and mess
equipment that had been brought along from the old camp at
Columbus. The chattering, noisy chain-driven vehicles made sev-
eral trips between the station and Camp Wilson before all per-
sonnel and equipment were gathered at the camp site. Afternoons
are long in South Texas in June, and the Chinese were able to
erect and stake down the tents before complete darkness overtook
them. All were tired but contented that night, for Mexico and
the wind-blown sands of the Columbus internment camp were
far in the past. Tomorrow would be a day of activity and work;
there was going to be work for everybody in the group, helping
vember 8, 1921; Statements of A. Warner Parker and E. J. Henning, 67th Cong.,
Ist Sess. (Serial No. 8), 967.
SCamp Wilson designated a new addition of Fort Sam Houston that was being
constructed to house a portion of the national army assembled under the draft
laws of 1917. Later, during the same year, the camp was officially renamed Camp
Travis. The 9oth and the 18th Infantry Divisions of the World War of 1914-1918
were trained here. Some time after the war, Camp Travis ceased to exist as such
and was incorporated into Fort Sam Houston. The eastern portion of Camp Travis
is now a post residential area, while the western is occupied by the extensive
grounds of the Brooke General Hospital.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 62, July 1958 - April, 1959, periodical, 1959; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101173/m1/568/: accessed June 24, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.