The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 63, July 1959 - April, 1960 Page: 170
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
ment from government service in 1948, Clayton briefly resumed
an active role in Anderson, Clayton and Company and then de-
voted a great deal of his time and his fortune to local civic affairs
In such a brief biography, it is impossible for Mrs. Garwood
to develop fully her father's business and governmental career.
But she provides an outline, in places quite full, which reveals
the contributions of Will Clayton to American foreign policy and
furnishes the basis for a more detailed study by later biographers.
ROBERT A. DIVINE
University of Texas
History of Blinn College, 1883-1958. By Charles F. Schmidt. Fort
Worth (University Supply and Equipment Company), 1958.
The year 1935 marks two important incidents in the life of
Charles F. Schmidt, the author of the book here under review.
In 1935 he succeeded Dr. A. A. Grusendorf as president of Blinn
Memorial College at Brenham, Texas, and also saw the publica-
tion of his History of Blinn Memorial College covering the period
from its founding in 1883 to 1934, the year in which the Method-
ist Church ceased to sponsor the school. This new book covers an
additional twenty-four years in the life of the college. It is based
upon source material from the records of the Southern German
Conference bearing particularly upon the educational enterprise
of this college. Reports and articles found in the Texas Stern, the
conference paper, articles in the Brenham Banner-Press, the cata-
logues of the college during the seventy-five years covered by this
book, college publications and minutes of the Board of trustees,
and Reverend Carl Urbantke's Aus Meinen Lebensfuehrungen,
published in 19go, furnished the author with other material for
writing his work. So much from the foreword.
From the introduction by Mrs. M. H. Ehlert, head of the col-
lege's Department of English, the reader sees that the college
began as a mission school, changed in 1889 to a school of academy
rank, which in 1937 became a school of junior college rank, the
first tax-supported junior college in the state, the property owners
of Washington County footing the bill.
The table of contents reveals that up to the writing of the book
Here’s what’s next.
Show all pages in this issue.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 63, July 1959 - April, 1960, periodical, 1960; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101186/m1/208/ocr/: accessed December 9, 2016), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.