The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 63, July 1959 - April, 1960 Page: 264
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
also a point on the old Preston Road which crossed Red River at
The first school in Sherman was established in 1849, but it and
a number of others had come and gone by 1866, when a coeduca-
tional school was begun in the Odd Fellows Hall by the Reverend
William P. Petty. The school was named the Sherman Male and
Female High School and occasionally was referred to as the Sher-
man Male and Female Academy or the Sherman Institute. Petty
was a Methodist minister who had been sent to Sherman by the
North Texas Conference and as such, he received Methodist
patronage for the school which he established." Because of the
interest of the conference in Petty's school and the failure to
achieve the goal of $50,000 for a girls' college, the conference
appointed a board of trustees for the Sherman school, and in
1870 the trustees paid $300 to Mr. and Mrs. J. C. D. Blackburn
for four acres of land to be used "... exclusively for school pur-
The two-story school building which was erected on the prop-
erty was a gray frame structure with a steep V-shaped shingle roof.
On the front of the school was a square cupola whose top rose
above the roof of the building proper. Further ornamentation
consisted of two porches which were enclosed by ornate balus-
trades. Inside, floors were divided into classrooms, with a study
hall for older students at the back of the first floor and a room
for the smaller children immediately above it. Many windows
provided light and ventilation as well as an outlet for stove pipes
during winter months.8
Petty continued as principal until the North Texas Conference
moved him to Gainesville in 1872. J. C. Parks, a mathematics
prodigy, came from St. Louis to be principal. He brought three
St. Louis teachers with him, including his assistant, Captain J. C.
5Mattie Davis Lucas and Mita Holsapple Hall, A History of Grayson County,
Texas (Sherman, 1936), 186-187.
OHomer S. Thrall, A Brief History of Methodism in Texas (Nashville, 1894) , 274.
TGrayson County Deed Records (MSS., Grayson County Clerk's Office, Sherman),
Book W, 31o.
SAnnie Connelly, History of Kidd-Key College (Master's thesis, Southern Method-
ist University, 1942), 13"
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 63, July 1959 - April, 1960, periodical, 1960; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101186/m1/334/: accessed November 25, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.