The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 63, July 1959 - April, 1960 Page: 358
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
colony. The community storehouse and the community dining
hall were never fully realized. Considerant sought further lands
around Fort Belknap and in Uvalde County for auxiliary devel-
opment. Meanwhile the settlers became dissatisfied with the phal-
ange scheme, abandoned it, and shifted for themselves, quickly
adapting to the life of near-by Dallas, then but little more than
a decade old. To the life and culture of Dallas these visionaries
and their descendants have made a valuable contribution as at-
tested by the Santerre, Reverchon, Cantagrel, and other families.
Likewise this book with its documents is a distinct contribution
to an ever expanding body of Texana. DAN FERGUSON
A No Man's Land Becomes a County: A History of Mills County
Texas. Edited by Flora Gatlin Bowles. Goldthwaite, Texas
(Mills County Historical Society), 1958. Pp. 338. Map, pho-
tographs, bibliography. $4.65.
No Man's Land Becomes a County is a fascinating story of a
parcel of Texas land made up in 1887 into Mills County out of
the fringes of Brown, Comanche, Hamilton, and Lampasas coun-
ties. The area was settled thirty years before organization into
Mills County by homesteaders, cattlemen, and squatters. There
were neither government nor peace officers in the area which
became a rendezvous for cattle rustlers, horse thieves, renegades,
and murders. Actually the history of the present Mills County
area covers Igo years, from 1828 to 1958, and this whole period
is recounted in the work under consideration.
The organization of the area into Mills County in 1887 was
effected by R. P. Connor, county judge of Brown County, who
was appointed by the Twentieth Legislature of Texas as the
The initial settlers moved into the area under the protection
of the Texas Rangers. The pioneers came to establish homes in
the great open range of free land with bubbling springs and
luscious grasses. The county, situated in West Central Texas,
claims to be the most centrally located in the state. This account
gives the names of the first settlers and describes in an interesting
manner their activities and the routine of their daily lives. Use
is made of the abundant local source material on the Comanche
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 63, July 1959 - April, 1960, periodical, 1960; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101186/m1/434/?rotate=90: accessed June 27, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.