The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 63, July 1959 - April, 1960 Page: 430
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
(Sixth), Bois d'Arc (Seventh), Hickory (Eighth), Ash (Ninth),
Mulberry (Tenth), and Mesquite (Eleventh).
The center of town was along Congress Avenue between Pine
(Fifth) and Ash (Ninth) streets, and a block on both sides of the
Avenue on Pecan (Sixth) and Bois d'Arc (Seventh) Streets.
The state capitol building stood on Capitol Hill at the north
end of Congress Avenue. The large, square building was located
near the center of a ten-acre plot of ground set aside for the
capitol when the city was laid out. A few trees surrounded the
building, which was about ioo feet long by 50 or 60 feet wide.
The walls were made of hard limestone inside and soft white lime-
stone outside. By 1861 the weather had turned the smoothly
planed outside walls a delicate, light yellow. Broad stone steps
at the south front reached from the ground to the second or
main floor." Four Ionic columns extended from the top of the
steps to the top of the building, supporting the roof over the small
portico. There were six windows across the front in each story
and five across the sides. A simple, rather small dome stood at
the center of the roof, and a chimney flanked the dome at each
corner of the building. A wooden fence surrounded the grounds.
Various offices and assembly rooms were on the ground floor.
Other offices were on the main floor, and the third floor included
the State Library, Supreme Court Room, and the chambers and
galleries of the Senate and the House of Representatives.'
The cornerstone of the capitol was laid on Saturday, July 3,
1852, by John C. Gordy of Franklin, Louisiana, who was traveling
in Texas as a lecturer. In an oration that day, the Reverend S. B.
Cameron said of the capitol building: "[These] enduring walls,
stately pillars and magnificent courts shall be contemplated with
delight by far removed ages, when they, we, and ours shall be
no more."' Michael DeChaumes, architect, was supervising con-
tractor of the building, which was completed in 1854. Francis
R. Lubbock, governor of Texas, 1861-1863, stated that the esti-
6O. M. Roberts, "The Capitals of Texas," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical
Association, II, 12o.
"Texas State Gazette, July io, 1852, p. 370.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 63, July 1959 - April, 1960, periodical, 1960; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101186/m1/534/: accessed August 16, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.