The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 63, July 1959 - April, 1960 Page: 453
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Notes and Documents
have given the mission of San Jose to the Reverend Benedictine
fathers who have been in the diocese eighteen months in charge
of many of our German congregations. It is there they have estab-
lished their monastery. The irrigable lands of this mission are so
vast that they can employ in their cultivation a goodly number of
lay brothers. They are working with activity at this moment to
reconstruct the old monastery, almost fallen in ruins. Outside of
the religious community, they will be able to admit a goodly num-
ber of pupils, ecclesiastical and secular. This mission is five miles
from San Antonio and three miles from Conception. Nothing is
finer or more wholesome than the site of these two missions. What
touching memories are attached to them. A thousand expressions
of gratitude to the Saviour who has given them to us. It was neces-
sary to spend nearly 7000 francs to return them to their original
purpose. We hope that they soon will become again the scene of
more solid efficacy and a fertile nursery of ardent Christians.
We have collected in the diocese 1950 francs for the work of the
propagation of the faith. Have the goodness to credit this sum to
I have the honor to be with profound esteem and great gratitude,
Your very humble and
J. M. ODIN BP. OF GALVESTON
To the President and the Members of the Council of the Propagation
of the Faith, Lyons.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 63, July 1959 - April, 1960, periodical, 1960; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101186/m1/559/: accessed July 27, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.