The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 64, July 1960 - April, 1961 Page: 156
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
larger cities established retail branches and put relatives and skilled
clerks in charge of them.
L. Mandelbaum's very brief diary, published only partially here,
presents a graphic description of how a small-town store was laid
out and what it handled: anything from a pin to a buggy. It is
obvious that in the Texas of the post-bellum period such businesses
made a substantial contribution in creating-and raising--the
standard of living. ,
Bernard Buie of Stamford has made a recent contribution to
the colorful history of ranching in the Panhandle and South
Plains regions of Texas. The Association received a map, com-
piled by Buie, of this sixty-five-county area, depicting a number
of the outstanding landmarks, trails, and ranches of the 188o's.
To guard against the forgetfulness of time and to preserve this
historical contribution, the Quarterly presents herewith a three-
color reproduction of Buie's map-a document of value and in-
terest to the range historians and a tribute to the cattlemen of
yesterday who "sweated a kind of civilization out of a raw sea of
grass." Some of the ranch brands illustrated are among the most
familiar in the state; others are long forgotten or little known
outside of their own ranges. On the back of the map is a short
historical sketch of the open range region of northwestern Texas
and of the cattlemen who made it their empire.
The following persons and institutions have become members
of the Association since the publication of the last Quarterly:
Mr. George A. Hill, III Mr. James Leon Lee
1415 Richmond Avenue P. O. Box 1168
Houston 6, Texas Galveston, Texas
Mr. Raymond M. Hill Representative G. Jerome Jones
32o2 Reba Drive United States National Bank Bldg.
Houston 19, Texas Galveston, Texas
Mr. T. E. Caulfield
Mr. Henry Lee Somerville 150 McFerrin Avenue
117 Falcon Blvd. 1501 McFerrin Avenue
117 Falcon Blvd. Waco, Texas
Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
Mr. B. J. DeSautell
Major Jay A. Matthews, Jr. 621 Speed
Box 292-C Camp Mabry Wharton, Texas
Dr. John A. Wall
Mr. Ramsey Yelvington 2217 Maconda Lane
Wimberly, Texas Houston 27, Texas
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 64, July 1960 - April, 1961, periodical, 1961; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101190/m1/180/: accessed August 17, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.