The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 64, July 1960 - April, 1961 Page: 9
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Cass Gilbert's Old Library Building
hances the desire and the need for readily symbolizing the deep mean-
ing and tradition of Texas; and
WHEREAS, the Texas State Historical Association-to which Dr.
Barker gave twenty-seven years of great and gratuitous editorship
and leadership-stands as the officially recognized, active and loyal
liaison between this institution and the people of Texas in effecting
this purpose; now, therefore,
BE IT RESOLVED by the Board of Regents of The University of Texas
THAT Offices o101-1o5 inclusive, the document vault in connection
with Room los, and Room 107, of the Old Library Building, be
immediately provided for The 'Texas State Historical Association,
and its manifold activities-The Southwestern Historical Quarterly,
the Texas Handbook, the Junior Historian, and its related research
-and that said Association, with Professor H. B. Carroll, its director,
be moved at once from its congested quarters in Garrison Hall and
B Hall into these rooms; and
THAT the main floor, including the reading room of the Old
Library, be vacated by whatever functions of the University that
now occupy it by February 1, 1947, at the latest, and that this read-
ing room be restored to its original, beautiful and only adaptable
use-that of study for the students and people of Texas, and, fittingly
in these surroundings, of the materials that are of the spirit and
essence of Texas; and
THAT the University architect be and is hereby directed to begin
drawing plans at once for the reconversion of this floor and the space
in the west wing to book stacks and other needed facilities for the
accommodation of the Texas Collection, the Archives, the Newspaper
Library, and that he be directed to complete these plans with ex-
pedition so that contracts may be let; and
THAT the 'Texas State Historical Association, now approaching
its fiftieth anniversary of service to the University and the cause of
learning generally, be asked to plan appropriate ceremonies and
officially dedicate the Old Library Building, with bronze or other
markers, as "The Eugene C. Barker Texas History Center"; and,
THAT a definite report on the progress of this work be submitted
by the President and the Registrar at the next, and succeeding,
regular meetings of this Board until the work is completed.,
The building is best appreciated through the voicings of those
in whose hands it has been entrusted as the pre-eminent center
for the preservation of the Texas heritage. At the formal dedica-
Olbid., September 20-21, 1946.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 64, July 1960 - April, 1961, periodical, 1961; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101190/m1/27/: accessed June 27, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.