The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 64, July 1960 - April, 1961 Page: 347
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Texas Land Grants
located many of them in Greer County, was the Day Land and
While the ownership of Greer County was still in dispute, the
Legislature of Texas passed an act, approved April 1, 1887, call-
ing for the surrender of patents made in Greer County and prom-
ising new certificates to be surveyed elsewhere on the vacant
public domain, if any such land could be found. If no vacant
public land could be found the certificate holder held no further
claim against the state.'0 The Commissioner of the General Land
Office issued 269 new certificates in lieu of cancelled patents in
Greer County. Of the 269 certificates 119 were issued to the Day
Land and Cattle Company."
The Veteran Donation Acts of 1879 and 1881 were the last
general acts passed granting land to those who had declared and
fought for the independence of Texas. Perhaps it was fitting that,
just before the unappropriated public domain passed out of
existence, Texas should grant a last part of it to those who had
made the ownership of the land possible.
loGammel, IX, 1o-lo2.
"xThis information was obtained from the stub-books from which these certificates
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 64, July 1960 - April, 1961, periodical, 1961; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101190/m1/382/: accessed August 22, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.