The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 64, July 1960 - April, 1961 Page: 387
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Notes and Documents
Reclamation Department, along with his brother, and he also
moved to the General Land Office when it took over the Recla-
mation Department's work.
In 1923, when oil was found on the University lands in West
Texas, Ernest von Rosenberg made a detailed topographical map
of the original campus, the "Forty Acres." Pleased with the exe-
cution of the assignment, the University in the following year
commissioned the von Rosenberg brothers to make a map of
the "Campus Extension," and the two worked together on this
project. The original maps, along with family records and related
materials, have recently been given to the Barker Texas History
Center at the University.
When the Red River Boundary suit developed in the 192o's
the two von Rosenbergs, with the Penick brothers, were called
on to do topographical work for the Texas Attorney General's
office. The maps which they drew were said to be among the best
of the kind ever made in America. Both the state of Oklahoma
and the federal government discarded their own maps and asked
permission to use the Texas maps for placing in evidence various
features to which they wished to call attention when introducing
testimony. Later, under the direction of the United States Bound-
ary Commission, the topographers retraced the maps for the
United States Supreme Court and fixed and located the boundary
as finally determined by the Court.
In 1952, Herman von Rosenberg's ill health required him to
resign from the General Land Office and he retired from his work
there; then on January 1, 1954, Ernest von Rosenberg retired
from his job at the Land Office. Thus ends the story of the four
von Rosenbergs-three generations of the family-as topographers
for Texas, a story which had its beginning more than a century
ago in the province of Prussia in East Germany and which had
its conclusion in present-day Texas.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 64, July 1960 - April, 1961, periodical, 1961; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101190/m1/424/: accessed April 27, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.