The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 64, July 1960 - April, 1961 Page: 43
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Railroads Come to Houston, 1857-z861
Bastrop; East Broadway, Dowling; Rice, Nagle; Shepherd, Delano;
and Shanghae, Velasco. West of the principal gridiron and south
of San Felipe Road (present West Dallas Avenue), beyond the
Episcopal and Masonic cemeteries, was Castanie Addition,s en-
closing on three sides the old City and Hebrew cemeteries, flanked
on the south by Senechal Addition and Hadley and Franklin
Addition." East of the axis was Frosttown, nestled in a bend in the
Bayou, that had been laid out in 1838 as the first addition to the
city," and a number of subdivided blocks out of the S. M. Williams
Survey. North of the bayou, on both banks of White Oak Bayou
where it enters Buffalo, were sixty-two blocks of NSBB (north side
of Buffalo Bayou). Surrounding the city on all sides except due
north were outlots of several acres each, occupied by families who
raised truck or preferred residence outside the bustle of com-
Houston and Harris County, of which it was the county seat,
was a man's world, a young man's world, and a young white man's
world. In i86o, out of a population of 7,017, there were but 194
persons in the county above the age of fifty-nine and but forty-
seven above seventy. Almost half were below the age of twenty
and more than two-thirds below thirty. Five-ninths were male and
seven-ninths white.' The population was predominantly native-
born. Five-sevenths of the free population had been born in the
United States. The two-sevenths of foreign births were substan-
tially German, but there were in Houston numerous Irish, Eng-
SFrederick Jacob Rothhaas, Plan of Justin Castanie's Survey, Houston, April 12,
1848 (MS., Deed Records of Harris County, County Clerk's Office, Houston), M,
4Map of Senechal Addition by F. Jacob Rothhaas, February 15, 1848, ibid., 475;
W. E. Wood, Hadley and Franklin's Addition to the City of Houston, March,
1866, ibid., II, 541.
5See ibid., A, 455-454, 458-459, 475-476, 504, 5o6-508, 511-516, 539-540, 551. The
plat of Frosttown was never recorded in the county archives. The plat in W. E.
Wood, City of Houston, Harris Co., Texas, January Ist 1869 (Philadelphia, n.d.),
those in Assessor's Block Books of Harris County (MS., County Assessor and
Collector's Office, Houston), and that in Insurance Maps of Houston, Texas (New
York, 1924), I, 25-26, do not agree with the deeds by which Samuel M. Frost
originally conveyed the lots.
6E. F. Gray, Plan of the City of Houston and Environs, Texas (New York, ).
7Based upon figures in Joseph C. G. Kennedy, Population of the United States
in 186o ... (Washington, 1864), 472-473, 476-477, 480-481.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 64, July 1960 - April, 1961, periodical, 1961; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101190/m1/61/: accessed November 20, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.