The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 65, July 1961 - April, 1962 Page: 332
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
Commission added 450 acres and numerous other improvements
to the park.
The small white frame building, which is called a "replica"
of Independence Hall, was built in 1926 and dedicated in cere-
monies at Washington State Park on June 3, 1926, sponsored by
the Washington Park Commission and the Brenham and Nava-
sota chambers of commerce. Senator Joseph Weldon Bailey was
the principal speaker. Originally set for March 2, and then for
April 21, but delayed both times by heavy rains, the ceremony was
held on Jefferson Davis' birthday. The building was patterned
after an early copy of the Ellison photograph.81
Recently plans have been discussed for "raising a million
dollars" to create a shrine to Texas liberty at Washington State
Park. It might be well to spend the first few hundred on research.
SlBrenham Banner-Press, June 4, 1926. The State Parks Board, which has had
supervision of the park since 1949, has no record of when the structure was built,
by whom it was designed, or on the basis of what information the design of the
replica was determined. A story about this building in the Dallas Morning News
in January, 1936, refers to it as having been "recently erected."
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 65, July 1961 - April, 1962, periodical, 1962; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101195/m1/378/: accessed April 28, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.