The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 65, July 1961 - April, 1962 Page: 465

This periodical is part of the collection entitled: Southwestern Historical Quarterly and was provided to The Portal to Texas History by the Texas State Historical Association.

View a full description of this periodical.

THE SOUTHWESTERN HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
VOL. LXV APRIL, 1962 No. 4
rhe 7rst Roots of the Uliersity
of reZas Meidical gracht at
alre st
RALPH W. JONES
ON NOVEMBER 25, 1857, THE GOVERNING BOARD OF SOULE UNI-
versity at Chappell Hill, Texas, created the chairs of law,
medicine, and biblical science.' The medical department
of Soule University, known more familiarly in Texas circles as
the Galveston Medical College, was conceived by this action.
Since there is a direct genealogical connection between the Gal-
veston Medical College and the University of Texas School of
Medicine via the Texas Medical College and Hospital, the ances-
tral roots of the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston
and plans for the first medical school in Texas both began on
November 25, 1857.
Soule University, formally established at Chappell Hill by
the Texas Annual Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church
South, at its meeting on December 12, 1855, was named for Bishop
Joshua Soule. A charter was obtained by an act of the legislature
on February 2, 1856. Less than two years after its founding, the
governing board of Soule University, with more temerity than
tangible assets, embarked on an ambitious university program.2
'Minutes of the Board of TIustees of Soule University, 1856-1887; hereafter called
Soule Board Minutes, November 25, 1857 (Bridwell Library, Perkins School of
Theology, Southern Methodist University), 26-27.
2Ibid., January 18, 1856, pp. 1-2; H. P. N. Gammel, The Laws of Texas, 1822-897
(io vols.; Austin, 1898), IV, 858. For Soule University see Arthur August Grusen-
dorf, The Social and Philosophical Determinants of Education in Washington
County, Texas, from 1835 to 1937 (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas, 1988);
Ralph Wood Jones, A History of Southwestern University, 1873-1949 (Ph.D. dis-
sertation, University of Texas, 196o); William F. Ledlow, History of Protestant
Education, A Study of the Origin, Growth, and Development of Education En-
deavors in Texas (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas, 1926).

Upcoming Pages

Here’s what’s next.

524 of 727
525 of 727
526 of 727
527 of 727

Show all pages in this issue.

This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.

Citing and Sharing

Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.

Reference the current page of this Periodical.

Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 65, July 1961 - April, 1962, periodical, 1962; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101195/m1/523/ocr/: accessed July 28, 2016), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.