The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 65, July 1961 - April, 1962 Page: 469
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
The University of Texas Medical Branch
The eruption in Charleston Harbor on April 12, 1861, pre-
vented the fulfillment of the plans for a university. By the fall
term, 1862, there was only a single teacher left at Soule Univer-
sity. Eventually, the building was impressed by Confederate au-
thorities for use as a convalescent hospital. Adequate caretaker
measures were not provided, hence much of the equipment, in-
cluding even the chairs, was lost. By the end of the war, the board
found it necessary to operate the university on a "self-sustaining"
basis. The faculty had only one source for salaries, the tuition and
fees paid by the students."
On October 23, 1865, less than five months after the formal
surrender of the Confederate Trans-Mississippi Department in
Galveston, the Board of Trustees ordered the immediate organ-
ization of the medical department. Oddly enough, despite the
pathetic impoverishment of Soule University, the medical depart-
ment did begin operation.o
The college building, when it opened its doors in 1865, was
located on 26th Street and Avenue I. The clinical lectures were
given at the hospital. Records show that for the period 1865-1871,
there were 143 students matriculated in the college, of whom
seventy-two graduated. In addition to Texans enrolled for the
medical course, there were students from New York, Virginia,
Mexico, Tennessee, South Carolina, Nova Scotia, Georgia, and
North Carolina. The following requirements for graduation were
1. Three years pupilage with a regular physician in good standing,
inclusive of the time attending Medical Lectures, the last being in
2. At least one course of Practical Anatomy or Dissection.
3. Proper Testimonials of Character.
4. An acceptable thesis in the handwriting of the candidate.
9Soule Board Minutes, June 26, 1861, pp. 78-86.
lODashiell to Mood, November 6, 1878. Further documentation for the estab-
lishment of the medical department, or Galveston Medical College, is obtainable.
The Galveston City Directory and Street Guide for x868-1869 (Galveston, 1868),
123, carried an advertisement for Galveston Medical College "Organized at Chappell
Hill, 1865." The Catalogue and Annual Announcements of the Galveston Medical
College, Sessions of 1871-72 (Galveston, 1871), unnumbered, but following page 22,
carried the following in small type: "Under the Jurisdiction of Soule University."
A list of the matriculants and graduates immediately appended establishes the year
of the first class as 1865.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 65, July 1961 - April, 1962, periodical, 1962; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101195/m1/527/: accessed June 17, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.