The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 66, July 1962 - April, 1963 Page: 136
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
to be presented to the Junior Historians as awards. A special note
of appreciation is due the members of Chapter No. 155, Bel-
laire High School, Mrs. Nettie Barnes, sponsor, for providing
table decorations for the luncheon.
Following the meeting, the delegates participated in the annual
historic tour of Austin, visiting the State Cemetery, the French
Legation, the State Library and Archives Building, and other
sites of particular significance in the city. Guides for the tour
were again provided by Chapter No. 123, Stephen F. Austin High
School, Austin, and again the increasing efficiency of the group
in this area inspired widespread expressions of admiration and
gratitude from those who took part in the tour.
At the business meeting of the Association on Friday afternoon,
the following officers were elected for the year 1962-1963:
President: Fred Cotten;
Vice-Presidents: George P. Isbell, J. P. Bryan, Joseph Schmitz,
and Seymour V. Connor;
Corresponding Secretary and Treasurer: Mrs. Coral Horton
Fred Cotten, who was elected to the presidency, is a Weather-
ford businessman, an enthusiastic historian of Parker County, and
a prominent collector of Texana. Cotten, who has served as a
member of the executive council since 1949, became a vice-pres-
ident in 1953-
Re-elected vice-presidents were George P. Isbell, San Antonio
businessman and Texana collector; and J. P. Bryan, prominent
Freeport lawyer and businessman, and a member of the Board
of Regents of the University of Texas. Newly elected vice-presi-
dents were Brother Joseph Schmitz, fellow of the Association and
professor of history at St. Mary's University in San Antonio; and
Seymour V. Connor, professor of history and director of the
Southwest Collection at Texas Technological College in Lubbock.
Mrs. Coral Horton Tullis was re-elected corresponding secre-
tary and treasurer to continue her devoted service with the Asso-
ciation which has extended over a period of three decades.
Newly elected fellows' representatives on the executive council
were Dorman H. Winfrey, Ernest Wallace, and Rupert N. Rich-
ardson. Cooper K. Ragan replaced Richardson as a members'
representative on the executive council.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 66, July 1962 - April, 1963, periodical, 1963; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101196/m1/150/: accessed September 22, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.