The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 66, July 1962 - April, 1963 Page: 207
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Missouri's Confederate Capital in Marshall, Texas
Cope even tried to get influential residents of Missouri interested
but his efforts were in vain.
Throughout the spring of 1950 there were many articles in the
Marshall News Messenger about both old houses. One man in
Dallas proposed that they be preserved by popular subscription
and enclosed a small donation in his letter to start the cam-
paign, but there was insufficient public interest.29 A short time
later another article stated that a California enterprise was inter-
ested in converting the governor's mansion into an antique shop
and moving it to a new location on United States Highway 80
near Hallsville. That project too was abandoned.0 Most articles,
over the years, had described the governor's mansion as a spacious
southern home. Published pictures had show a two-story
Victorian house with gables and porches. As pointed out in the
Marshall News Messenger in an article on March 26, 1950, the
house at the time of Reynolds' occupancy was a one-story frame
cottage which was not enlarged and changed until the 1890's.
According to a former owner the original interior had been at-
tractive and well built with features such as parquet wood floors,
but it was not the mansion of later accounts. The house that was
to be razed bore little external resemblance to Reynolds' former
residence. Apparently the razing of this house was not completed
until June, 1950, for a feature article in the Marshall News Mes-
senger for July 7, 195o, assigned its destruction to the previous
month.31 The same article referred to the one-time capitol of
Missouri as still standing across the street. That building had
been changed little through the years in external appearance,
but it was not to stand for long, and some months later it too
In 1962 a building housing medical and insurance offices stands
on the former site of the governor's mansion, and a clinic occupies
that of the capitol. To the casual passer-by this corner, with its
modern functional buildings, suggests nothing of its romantic
history. Nothing remains to distinguish the last official home of
a determined man and his loyal supporters, a band who struggled
bravely during four years of civil war to keep alive a forlorn hope.
29Marshall News Messenger, February 21, 1950.
OIlbid., February 23, 1950o.
31Ross Phares, "Texan Parade," ibid., July 7, 1950.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 66, July 1962 - April, 1963, periodical, 1963; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101196/m1/227/: accessed June 29, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.