The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 66, July 1962 - April, 1963 Page: 305
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
by Seymour Connor will include the Republic of Texas, the Mex-
ican War, and early statehood. Ernest Wallace will write about
the Civil War, Reconstruction, and the Indian frontier in volume
four. The last quarter of the nineteenth century, law and order
on the frontier, and the development of the ranching industry
will fill Sylvan Dunn's volume five. Finally, the story of change
and growth in twentieth century Texas will be covered in volume
six by S. S. McKay. The series will be published by Steck Com-
pany of Austin during 1963 with Connor as editor.
Mrs. J. F. Lentz, outstanding historian of East Texas and par-
ticularly of the area about Marshall, died on June 1, 1962. Mrs.
Lentz and her husband long have been outstanding figures in the
work of the Association. For something like a quarter of a century
the two have been among those most regular in attendance at
Annual Meeting. The history of the Marshall area was ingrained
The service of such devoted students and researchers in history
is not subject to immediate and direct replacement.
Shortly before her death Mrs. Lentz thoughtfully sent to the
office copies of the Marshall News Messenger which relate Dorman
H. Winfrey's speaking to the Harrison County Historical Society
on the history of Rusk County, the subject of Winfrey's recent
The same newspaper carries the announcement that the Texas
State Historical Survey Commission will place a marker on the
grave of Walter Paye Lane in the Marshall cemetery. Lane, who
died on January 22, 1892, was a veteran of the Texas Revolution,
the Mexican War, and the War Between the States. His memoirs
were published first in 1887 and again in 1928.
The Harrison County Historical Society has drawn up a cer-
tificate of membership form which is the most attractive observed
in this office in many years. The centerpiece of the certificate of
membership is a reproduction of the flag of Company E, 17th
Texas Rangers, C. S. A., a Harrison County unit generally spoken
of in that area as the company of Colonel S. B. Hendricks. Such
an attractive certificate should lead to the tripling of the highly
competent Harrison County group.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 66, July 1962 - April, 1963, periodical, 1963; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101196/m1/327/?rotate=90: accessed March 18, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.