The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 66, July 1962 - April, 1963 Page: 419
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Comments on Changes in the Red River 419
in the comparison of these lists to point up similarities and dif-
ferences. Numerous photographs also were used to show condi-
tions. The result was believed to be a reasonably accurate and
detailed picture of conditions prevailing as of the summer of 1921.
Following completion of the hearing, the court took the case
under study and in January, 1923, rendered its decision. In
March a commission, composed of A. A. Stiles and A. D. Kidder,
was appointed by the court to locate and mark on the ground
the south bank of the river, which by the court's decision con-
stituted the northern boundary of Texas. These men set per-
manent concrete monuments well up on the Texas bluff (with a
few control reference monuments also on the Oklahoma bluff
and one, R. M. 1o,6 near the apex of the valley land bulge), each
with a bronze plate appropriately identifying it. From them,
course and distance were taken in sequence to each of numerous
wooden posts set at frequent intervals along the boundary bank.
The approximate location of the line along which these posts
were set-the boundary line as of 1923-is indicated by Figure 2.
(Substantial erosion had evidently occurred on the upstream
margin of the valley land bulge and similar, though less exten-
sive, accretion on the downstream margin within the space of
two years.) The work was completed in December, 1923, and the
report was accepted by the court in 1924.
I had intended to revisit the area at the expiration of a twenty-
five year interval to check the vegetation and the physiographic
conditions and to note the nature and extent of changes during
that period. Circumstances attendant on World War II and its
immediate post-war period precluded carrying out this purpose,
and it was not until early May, 1953, that the opportunity to do
so occurred. Occasioned by a visit of Paul Seashore to the Texas
Memorial Museum to receive testimonial recognition for sig-
OThis concrete, bronze plated, marker was not located at the time of this inves-
tigation in 1953, because of the extremely high temperatures, because of the presence
of considerable water in the channel to the south of the "cottonwood island," and
because its importance at the time was not apparent. While it was contemplated
by the Supreme Court that it would become a permanent marker, similar to those
on the bluff, it is not at all certain that Monument io was actually permanent.
Its location in the valley was determined by use of the direction of converging
transit lines based upon markers on the Texas bluff. They crossed, as indicated,
on the "cottonwood island."
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 66, July 1962 - April, 1963, periodical, 1963; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101196/m1/445/?rotate=270: accessed January 17, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.