The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 66, July 1962 - April, 1963 Page: 470
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
were aroused an hour before day and formed in marching order with
their cannon drawn by hand in advance of their line, with a force
of about two hundred and fifty Americans and four hundred Mexi-
cans.120 They proceeded in silence-not a whisper or tap of the drum
was heard to cheer them in their solitary march. They arrived on an
eminence in view of the enemy's quarters just as day appeared; and
formed in line, the Americans in the centre and Mexicans on each
wing. Bernardo, with his satelites, followed them out and took a
position at a safe distance in their rear,121 where he could view the
field. The enemy had formed their encampment on the rear of a deep
ravine near a pond of water, Buildig [sic] a line of log pens in their
rear, mounting their two cannon on their left, to guard the ingress
of the Americans around the head of the ravine.122 They were stirring
by times, and surprised by the discharge of the American's cannon-
performing their matins and cooking breakfast, it being Sunday
morning. Their infantry were immediately formed and posted in the
ravine, and their cavalry, being few in number, were posted behind
their cannon. The Americans advanced, playing their cannon on their
cavalry and artillery-the infantry being protected by the ditches-
dismounting one of their guns and driving their cavalary back to a
safer position. Elisondo sent a detachment to flank the Americans on
their left where the Mexican infantry were formed, and Capt. Ken-
nedyl28 who succeeded Scott was ordered from the centre to repel
them. In the act of wheeling to the rear, your humble servant was
'n0Gutierrez gives the republican strength as goo of whom only 600 were well
armed, the rest carrying lances. Shaler heard that the republican strength was
looo; Boo Americans, 2oo Indians, and the balance Mexicans, with eight pieces
of artillery. A plan of march and battle inclosed with a letter from Bullard to
Shaler gives the rebel army as 9oo strong; about 250 Anglo-Americans, 2oo Mexi-
cans on foot, Soo mounted Mexicans, and 150 mounted Indians; only about 6oo
could be relied on, half the Indians and many Mexicans having no firearms and
many lacking spirit. About 150 Mexicans were dispersed through the American
companies with the object of keeping them up. About 250 Mexicans served as
Gutierrez's bodyguard and were entirely inactive. Gutierrez de Lara to the Mexican
Congress, August 1, 1815, in Gulick and others, Lamar Papers, I, 17; Plan of Battle
included with Shaler to Monroe, July 14, 1813; and Shaler to Monroe, July lo,
1813, Shaler Papers.
"12Confirmed by Bullard. Bullard to Shaler included with Shaler to Monroe,
July lo, 1813, Shaler Papers.
122According to Yoakum, the Spaniards had erected two bastions with a curtain
of 400 yards between them on the summit of a gentle ridge near the Alazan, a
branch of the San Pedro. He also states that Gutierrez had been reinstated as com-
mander-in-chief to get the hearty cooperation of the Mexicans. Yoakum, History of
Texas, I, 171, 171n.
128It seems reasonable to assume that this man was Joseph Pulaski Kennedy who
served with the Kemper brothers in West Florida and may have accompanied
Samuel Kemper in this new attack on their old enemies, the Spaniards. Isaac Joslin
Cox, The West Florida Controversy (Baltimore, 1918), 423, 460.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 66, July 1962 - April, 1963, periodical, 1963; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101196/m1/506/: accessed June 26, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.