The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 66, July 1962 - April, 1963 Page: 474
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
a large augmentation of the Republican force. And Gen. Toledo pro-
ceeded to organize and equip all the Mexicans that could be mustered
into service. We finally succeeded in organizing a force of about four
hundred infantry; mostly composed of the prisoners and deserters
from the enemy's ranks.'"' And early in the month of August
intelligence arrived that Arredondol82 with a large force comprising
eight hundred regulars and three hundred militia, was ready to set
out from Monterey, who were joined on the march by Elisondo and
the remnent of his forces, that had escaped their disastrous defeat
and starvation on their retreat.33 Their progress was retarded by a
large train of pack mules and sixteen pieces of cannon. They were
discovered by Captain McFarland, who was sent out with his company
of spies on the fifteenth, about fifty miles from San Antonio on the
Laredo road. On receipt of this intelligence Gen. Toledo proposed,
to march out and meet them. The Americans preferred to await their
arrival near the town, but submitted to the General's plan, it having
the approval of the Mexicans.
They were occupied the succeding two days in making prepara-
tions; and on the morning of the 18th they marched out of town,
cheered with the sound of martial music, and smiles and salutations
of the ladies, with their force, comprising less than three hundred
Americans, commanded by Maj. Perry; their number never exceeded
that during the expedition; and four hundred Mexican infantry, and
about two hundred Mexican citizens mounted, under the command
of Manchaca with their six pieces of small cannon-none more than
six pounders.34 They encamped for the night 4 or 5 miles South West
x81Bullard says that Toledo at once set about getting the army into a better
state of preparedness. A train of artillery was mounted and fitted for service and
the troops were reviewed and better organized. The army was destitute of every-
thing but arms and ammunition, especially clothing. [Bullard], Book Review, North
American Review, XLIII, 24o; Bullard to Shaler, included with Shaler to Monroe,
July 14, 1813; Shaler to Monroe, June 12, 1813, Shaler Papers.
82Joaquin de Arredondo was born in Barcelona, Spain, in 1768. In 1787 he
entered the Spanish Royal Guards as a cadet. He was commissioned in 1807 for
services in New Spain; promoted to colonel in 181o and given command of the
infantry regiment of Vera Cruz. Next year he was made military commandant of
Nuevo Santander and was instrumental in suppressing the Hidalgo revolt. In 1812
he was commandant of the eastern division of the Interior Provinces. After the
Battle of the Medina he returned to Monterrey until Mexico won her inde-
pendence, at which time he left Mexico for Cuba. Castafieda, Catholic Heritage,
1ssAccording to Bullard, the Americans received rumors of Arredondo's plan,
to concentrate his forces at the junction of the road from San Antonio with the
roads from Laredo and Paso del Norte, three or four days march from San
Antonio. The original plan of the Americans was to prevent this junction but they
marched too late to succeed. [Bullard], Book Review, North American Review,
18'Bullard gives the strength of the republican army as 1500, of whom 400 were
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 66, July 1962 - April, 1963, periodical, 1963; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101196/m1/510/: accessed June 24, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.