The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 66, July 1962 - April, 1963 Page: 481
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Fort Croghan, built by the United States Army in 1849 near
present Burnet, is being restored by the Burnet County Histori-
cal Society. The Fry cabin, home of a family of early settlers in
Burnet County, has also been acquired and moved to the fort
grounds. Additional plans include a museum to house relics of
the county's history. Officers of the society include Mrs. L. C.
Ross, president, Mrs. H. Clay Faires, secretary, Mrs. L. S. Skaggs,
treasurer, and Alma Cotham, reporter.
The Archives Division of the Texas State Library has on dis-
play a collection of forty-four photographs and autographs of
the chief executives of Texas. This unique display begins with
Henry Smith, who was the head of the Provisional Government,
and follows the trail of history down to the present governor,
Price Daniel. Most of the photographs were collected by the
Houston Post and deposited in the Archives, while the docu-
ments which contain the autographs were selected from the
Archive files. The documents were primarily chosen for their
signatures of the individuals, but some of them are also of his-
torical significance. An example of this is the letter of David G.
Burnet addressed to Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna dated June
15, 1836, concerning correspondence between Santa Anna and
General Don Vicente Filisola.
The display is open to the public during the hours the Ar-
chives are open, from 8 to 5 on week days and from 8 to 2 on
With the recent death of Mrs. I. B. McFarland of Houston the
Association lost a devoted life member whose interest in Texas
history was emphasized by her generous contribution of prizes
for the early Junior Historian writing contests.
An outstanding piece of historical preservation has been ac-
complished in Jefferson by Mrs. O. C. Billingsley. After collecting
drug store relics for almost half a century, Mrs. Billingsley has
erected an apothecary shop in her yard and has opened it for
public inspection. In the shop one will find an old-fashioned pre-
scription department filled with apothecary jars, antique stock
bottles, and other authentic items. A good early sheet music col-
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 66, July 1962 - April, 1963, periodical, 1963; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101196/m1/517/: accessed May 28, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.