The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 66, July 1962 - April, 1963 Page: 595
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Florence Johnson Scott, who several years ago did a master's
thesis at the University of Texas on Spanish Land Grants in the
Lower Rio Grande Valley with genuine distinction, retains her
historical interest at 801 East Main Street in Rio Grande City.
Mrs. Scott recently spoke before the Daughters of the Republic
of Texas at Mission on "Historic Spots in Starr County." Follow-
ing is an informational outline of her presentation:
I. RIO GRANDE CITY-ESTABLISHED 1848
1. H. CLAY DAVIS HOME 1848-1870 S. Britton Ave.
(Now occupied by Ceballos Funeral Home.)
2. DAVIS LANDING Monument (In parkway in front-
First State Bank 8& Trust Co.)
3. JAMES H. STARR Monument (At north end same parkway.)
4. Replica SHRINE of LOURDES (North-east of Courthouse.)
5. State Monument-
JOSE DE ESCANDON-EL CONDE de la SIERRA GORDA
(In parkway south of the Courthouse.)
II. FORT RINGGOLD
6. State Monument FORT RINGGOLD-west of main gate.
7. Old ARMY HOSPITAL-187o recently awarded a Texas
Medallion Marker (west side of parade ground).
8. Four sets Army Barracks (north of parade ground).
9. Officers Row (south of parade ground).
o10. The GUARD HOUSE-Now School Superintendent's Office-
(east side parade ground).
11. The POST BAKERY now the High School Principal's Office
(north side parade ground).
12. The ROBERT E. LEE HOUSE-State Medallion Marker
(Located in old part of the reservation, facing the former river
13. QUARTERMASTER HEADQUARTERS-1870 (Also in old
14. NEW AUDITORIUM-GYMNASIUM-ARMORY-BORDER
PATROL HEADQUARTERS- (Facing highway.)
15. OUR LADY OF REFUGE CHURCH-1852-designed by Father
Peter Keralum. A Texas Medallion building located on Plaza.
16. The NOAH COX TWO STORY HOME-1850 on right side
Plaza near river.
17. The MANUEL RAMIREZ HOSPITAL-In front of church.
18. The PINK HOUSE-1882-2 blocks North West of church
(Now Knights of Columbus Hall).
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 66, July 1962 - April, 1963, periodical, 1963; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101196/m1/637/?rotate=90: accessed January 21, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.