The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 67, July 1963 - April, 1964 Page: 236
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
will cross below at Lyons' ferryT5 and cut off their retreat at Baton
Rouge and Col. Majort7 with his Brigade will be left in reserve
at the crossing to protect our retreat if it should be necessary. The
army will cross in two small ferry flats beginning at 4 o'clock P.M.
and cross in the following order-Waller's Batn., Roundtree's Batn.,
Semmes' Baty., Mouton's Brigade, Speight's Brig., and Green's
Brigade. 4 P.M. Marched up to the [Morgan's] ferry, got across
about 7 P.M. and marched down river 3/4 mile, remained there until
sunrise next morning, lying, sitting and standing, but very little
sleeping from the rain all night.
Sept. 29 Tuesday at sunrise-Counter marched to the ferry and
proceeding up the river through an interminable cucklebur patch
about a mile, thence eastwardly, held eastwardly and crookedly along
a path wide enough for one man, about 6 miles we emerged into
the Morganza road between the enemy and their support (if any) at
the latter place. Mouton's Brigade commanded by Lt. Col Soule77
had been up to this time in front but here we found it formed in
close column on the side of the road and near an extensive canefield.
This point was distant from Morganza 5 miles. We [Speight's Brigade]
were ordered to enter the canefield across a levee and forming im-
mediately after in column to advance upon the enemy while Mou-
storm Fort Butler at Donaldsonville. Taylor, Destruction and Reconstruction, 144.
Lieutenant Colonel George T. Madison succeeded to command and thereafter the
regiment was known as Madison's.
75Located about twenty miles below Morgan's Ferry on the Atchafalaya River,
Lyons' Ferry was just south of Krotz Springs. General Green had ordered Colonel
James P. Major, in command of the 2nd Cavalry brigade, to send one of his best
regiments to cross at Lyons' Ferry and march to Lavonia on the Baton Rouge road
and then move up Bayou Fordoche as far as the bridge on the Morganza road and
thus protect his flank. Colonel Major detailed Phillips' regiment, temporarily under
the command of Major George M. Frazer of the Arizona Battalion, who had seen
rigorous service in the New Mexico campaign, for this mission. After the engage-
ment at Fordoche or Stirling's plantation, Phillips' regiment then moved east
toward Morganza to cover the withdrawal of the main body of Confederate troops
to the west side of the Atchafalaya River. Report of Brigadier General Thomas
Green, October 2, 1863, Official Records, Series I, Vol. XXVI, Pt. 1, 329.
76Colonel James P. Major was promoted in July, 1863, to brigadier general.
A native of Missouri, he was graduated from West Point in the upper half of the
class of 1856 and had served in Texas before the war in the renowned 2nd United
States Cavalry, where his bravery in several Indian fights was conspicuous. Major
was in the battles of Oak Hills or Wilson's Creek and Elkhorn Tavern and then at
Corinth with Van Dorn. At this time, in 1863, he was in command of the 2nd
Brigade under General Taylor. Major was an aggressive and capable officer. He
married a sister of Mrs. Tom Green of Austin and thus was a brother-in-law of
General Green. Warner, Generals in Gray, 2og.
77Lieutenant Colonel George Soule of the 18th Louisiana, or Crescent Regiment,
had been in command of his regiment since May, 1863. He became the brigade
commander at this time because Colonel Henry Gray was in command of both
Mouton's and Speight's brigades.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 67, July 1963 - April, 1964, periodical, 1964; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101197/m1/276/: accessed September 19, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.