The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 67, July 1963 - April, 1964 Page: 29
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Notes and Documents
spirits of camphor, 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper, to to 15 drops
of laudanum. Take as often as the operations may require--a
tablespoon after each operation."
When war came in 1861, George W. O'Brien, twenty-eight
years of age, was serving his second term as County and District
Clerk of Jefferson County, Texas, and was also Justice of the
Peace for Precinct No. 1, having been elected to each of these
offices in 1858. O'Brien was licensed as an attorney on May 27,
1861, by Judge James R. Maxey of Liberty, the District Judge
of the Fifteenth Judicial District, which included at that time
Hardin, Jefferson, Liberty, Orange, Polk, and Trinity counties.
O'Brien probably never practiced law after obtaining his license
for within three months he was a private in the Confederate
Born on May 28, 1833, five miles south of Abbeville in Ver-
milion Parish, Louisiana, George W. O'Brien was the son of
George and Eliza Ann O'Bryan. About 1868, O'Brien changed the
spelling of his name from O'Bryan. Throughout the war he was
carried in the Confederate records and reports as O'Bryan. George
O'Bryan, the father, was a native of Kentucky who settled in
Louisiana after serving in the War of 1812. Later, with the
younger members of his family, he moved to Texas where he died
in Galveston in 1856. An older half-brother, David O'Bryan, was
a prominent lawyer and a member of the Louisiana Secession
Convention from Vermilion Parish, who subsequently served in
the Confederate Army.
In 1849, George W. O'Brien arrived at Bolivar Point from
Louisiana and the following year moved across the bay to
Galveston where he resided until 1852. From that year until his
death in 19og, he made Beaumont his home. As a child O'Brien
was privately taught, later completing his education by constant
study and reading. Before his election as County and District
Clerk of Jefferson County in 1854, he was a mail rider between
Galveston and Beaumont, following the beach route. After coming
to Beaumont, he soon established his residence on the bank of
the Neches River and the massive live oak tree in front of his old
home on Riverside Drive, known as the O'Brien oak and said
to have been planted by Cave Johnson in 1849, is to this day
a Beaumont landmark.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 67, July 1963 - April, 1964, periodical, 1964; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101197/m1/49/: accessed August 16, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.