The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 67, July 1963 - April, 1964 Page: 485
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Old Jico oN Ioueq Creek
ORAN JO POOL
T HE FRONTIER COMMUNITY OF OLD HICO WAS SITUATED
along the banks of Honey Creek in north Hamilton
County. Scattered settlements were begun in the region
around 1854. By the end of 1856, some eight families, most of
them kin, had located near one another on land surrounding
Honey Creek. These families were those of John Quincy Ander-
son, M. A. Fuller, James G. Barbee, James R. and Henry Fuller,
Isaac and Thomas Malone, and Isaac H. Steen. In every instance,
the first pioneers in the area settled along the wooded streams
and left the grass-covered prairies for grazing purposes or for
those who should come later.
Apparently, these settlers were responsible, ambitious men
who believed that the cheap and unsettled land of the frontier
would afford them advantages of success beyond the opportunities
offered them in the more settled communities. They respected
organized government and participated in it. They also believed
in Christianity and established schools. Within a year after their
arrival, they joined with their neighbors in the Leon River
settlement and with other nearby settlers in a movement to
separate from Comanche County and form a county government
of their own. A petition requesting the creation of the new
county was circulated and presented to the state legislature, and
on January 22, 1858, the Seventh Legislature of Texas created
Hamilton County.' The Honey Creek settlers along with those
of the other settlements assisted in the organization of the
county and assumed responsibilities in running the county
offices. James Fuller was elected the first justice of the peace,'
and Isaac H. Steen was among the first county clerks and later
served on the county board to examine the qualifications of
teachers. He also served as court clerk of the Thirty-fourth
1H. P. N. Gammel, Laws of Texas, z822-.897 (io vols.; Austin, 1898), IV, 932-953.
2Election Register, Number 259, 1854-1861 [V. 69], 270o.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 67, July 1963 - April, 1964, periodical, 1964; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101197/m1/563/?rotate=270: accessed September 26, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.