The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 67, July 1963 - April, 1964 Page: 584
H. BAILEY CARROLL
THE CHRISTMAS CARDS FOR THE YULETIDE OF 1963 WERE
many, varied, and much appreciated. This notation is
not necessarily done in matching one against another
but it does seem proper to mention that the card of Mr. and Mrs.
Quincy Webb Bynum, 134 East Mulberry Avenue, San Antonio
(78212), was a beautiful etching of Julian Onderdonk's (1882-
1922) "The Alamo." A copy was placed in the Archives of the
University of Texas.
Again, in the pro bono publico de Tejas classification there
should be entered two other items. One is Walter Long's dis-
tinctive and historic Christmas card which features patent med-
icines. The card is both amusing, in a way almost screamingly
funny, and at the same time amazingly serious and significant in
its revelation of how recent scientific medicine really is. After
all, medical science could make no outstanding advance without
the germ theory.
Back, however, to just one of the offerings so graphically
presented on Walter Long's card:
For Man or Beast
Stops any Ache or Pain
in 5 minutes.
Your money refunded if it
fails in any case. For
sale by all Leading Whole-
sale and Retail Druggists
in the State.
Manufactured by The
BROWN MEDICINE CO.
Fort Worth, Texas
See that the Lone Star appears
on every package.
Price 50 Cts.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page .
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 67, July 1963 - April, 1964, periodical, 1964; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101197/m1/662/ocr/: accessed July 22, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.