The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 68, July 1964 - April, 1965 Page: 341
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
The Methodist Episcopal Church in North Texas
In the final analysis, the judgment against Bewley among south-
ern churchmen, as well as among those who hanged him, was
based on the belief that he was "an open avowed abolitionist,
and a propagandist of abolition sentiments." That conclusion
was reached by the logic that there was no such thing as a Meth-
odist Episcopal minister in Texas who could properly be described
as conservative. A train of circumstances had made Bewley appear
to be the ring leader in "wholesale murder and arson." He had
the trial customary under lynch law, a form of law which they
felt was fully justified in his case because the organized system
did not punish adequately for crimes of such magnitude.s7
Bewley died at a time when and in a place where the sensibil-
ities of few people were apt to be offended by the philosophy
embodied in a remark attributed to one of the citizens of North
Texas during that summer. "The time had come that ninety-nine
innocent men had better suffer than let one guilty escape."8s
87The Reverend Homer S. Thrall to Bishop T. A. Morris, Texas Advocate, Jan-
uary 3, 1861.
88Hoover to Elliott, December 4, 186o, Central Advocate, December 19, 186o,
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 68, July 1964 - April, 1965, periodical, 1965; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101198/m1/411/: accessed June 23, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.