The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 68, July 1964 - April, 1965 Page: 388
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
Texas government and history, as well as for the state's citizens
and voters who have an interest in public affairs.
Tarleton State College
An Abstract of the Original Titles of Record in the General Land
Office. Introduction by Mary Lewis Ulmer. A Reprint of the
1838 Edition. Austin (Pemberton Press), 1964. Pp. iii+ 182.
During the Texas War for Independence and the early years
of the Republic of Texas, no domestic issue was of more interest
to Texans and received more attention from the governing offi-
cials than did that pertaining to the public domain. The Con-
sultation meeting at San Felipe, after first organizing a pro-
visional government, next adopted ordinances on November 13,
1835, closing all land offices and suspending the issuance of any
more land titles. The Constitution of the Republic of Texas had
detailed provisions pertaining to the public lands, which were not
implemented by legislation, however, until December 14, 1837-
By various acts the Texas congress created the General Land Office
and set up the governmental machinery to process the multi-
tudinous claims relating to the public lands being made by the
old and new settlers and the volunteer soldiers of the Texas Revo-
In order to aid in this burdensome administrative task, the
House of Representatives of the First Congress, on the last day
of its adjourned session, May 24, 1838, adopted a resolution which
had been introduced by George Sutherland of Jackson County,
a member of the Committee on Public Lands. It required that
the Commissioner of the General Land Office have printed
"1,ooo copies of the abstract of the books of his office prepared by
the clerk to the Committee on Public Lands, and that the Secre-
tary of State be requested to distribute the same with the laws
and journals, or sooner if practicable." That much needed in-
formation relating to the old land grants was thus placed in the
hands of local officials including the county land boards.
In appropriate columns, this volume has the name of each
grantee, the date of the issuance of the title, the quantity of
land, and where situated, and a column for remarks. Unfortunate-
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 68, July 1964 - April, 1965, periodical, 1965; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101198/m1/459/?rotate=270: accessed April 27, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.