The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 68, July 1964 - April, 1965 Page: 395
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
If Mrs. Mears had labeled her book as a "county history," one
would have to be highly critical as it does not follow the pattern
implied by that name. Fortunately though, she labeled it differ-
ently and as a "scrapbook" it does quite nicely. It is filled with
human interest stories which are quite readable and informative.
She gives the reader something more of Coryell County than
could be presented in a formal county history. The idea was well
conceived and the execution was commendable. Inserted between
pages 18o and 181 are forty pages of photographs which further
execute the "scrapbook" plan.
This book ranks as a substantial contribution to the history of
a central Texas county which has had little published about it to
date, and it would seem that anyone writing a history of the
county could make good use of the material here compiled. There
are no footnotes, although sources are listed in the narrative when
material is quoted. The five page index, unfortunately, is too
brief to adequately refer to the many names and places listed in
the book. JAMES M. DAY
Texas State Archives
The Lone Star Defenders. By S. B. Barron. Waco (W. M. Mor-
rison), 1964. Pp. 276. $1o.oo.
This is a facsimile of the original published in 19o8 by The
Neale Publishing Company, and Morrison is to be congratulated
on the excellence of his reproduction. Copies of the original are
among the rarest of Confederate items and even when obtainable
bring prices out of the reach of many collectors.
The book is a history of the 3rd Texas Confederate Cavalry,
a unit of Ross's Cavalry Brigade for most of the Civil War. Com-
pany C, of which Lieutenant S. B. Barron was a member, was
organized at Rusk and its first commander was Joseph L. Hogg,
later brigadier general in the Confederate army and the father
of Governor James Stephen Hogg. The regiment of which it
became a part was formed at Dallas in June, 1861. Thirsting for
blood and glory (both of which thirsts were soon amply satisfied),
the regiment promptly marched through Arkansas and was first
engaged in the Wilson Creek battle in August. After the battle
of Elkhorn Tavern in March, 1862, it was transferred to Corinth,
Mississippi, where it joined General P. G. T. Beauregard's army
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 68, July 1964 - April, 1965, periodical, 1965; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101198/m1/466/: accessed October 18, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.