The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 70, July 1966 - April, 1967 Page: 230
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
is it necessary that we should, because they are a part of us whether
we identify them or not."1 As the University of Texas grew in
stature the Department of History not only grew with it, but
added considerably to the speed of that growth. In the early
1940's the "Old Department" began to pass on and, as new
faces appeared, it seemed worthwhile to, capture some of those
"influences of the past," both to show how the present Department
of History has received certain heritages from the "Old Depart-
ment" and to help round out the picture of the University's
In 1951 Eugene C. Barker, in many ways the bellwether of the
historical flock, ceased to be a full-time teacher. By the end of
that year there had been four retirements and one death. In the
fall semester of 1952, visiting alumni of even a decade earlier
would have found a department of strangers.
A university, regardless of its expanding physical plant and
peripheral activities, must look to its faculty as the measure of
strength of the institution. Barker emphasized this when he stated:
"Our purpose, I take it, yours and mine, is the same-to realize
that vague, dim vision of the Constitution, 'A University of the
first class.' The attainment of that goal lies through one single
channel-a first class faculty."2 From an enrollment of 221 in 1883
the University of Texas attendance figures increased until in 1966
the registrar admitted more than 28,000 students. The physical
plant has expanded from a single building, Old Main, which was
located on forty acres of land overlooking the state capitol, to
more than sixty buildings situated on some three hundred acres.
For student activities, facilities include Clark Field, Gregory
Gymnasium, Women's Gymnasium, the massive Texas Memorial
Stadium, and the Union Building, each representing a greater
financial outlay and serving more students than the entire plant
in the 188o's.8
During the years from 1883 to 1910o, while the school grew
from infancy to adolescence, Leslie Waggener, George Pierce
1Eugene C. Barker, "Lester Gladstone Bugbee," Speeches, Responses, and Essays
(Austin, 1954), 66-67.
2Barker, "Academic Freedom," ibid., 3.
3The University of Texas, Catalogue of General Information, 1963-x964.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 70, July 1966 - April, 1967, periodical, 1967; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101199/m1/248/: accessed April 28, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.