The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 81, July 1977 - April, 1978 Page: 250
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
special interest in cancer, and was influential in laying the ground
work for the proposed hospital. Following the appropriation by the
legislature, the M. D. Anderson Foundation of Houston offered to
match the state funds and to donate a site if the hospital was located
in that city and named the M. D. Anderson Hospital for Cancer Re-
search. The offer was accepted and the cancer hospital was the first in
the United States to be developed as part of a university. Little im-
mediate development took place, however, because of the war years.
On August 1, 1946, Dr. Randolph Lee Clark, who had just completed
a successful tour of duty as a medical officer with the Air Force, was
appointed director and surgeon-in-chief. The book deals with the pro-
fessional career of Clark and the phenomenal growth, under his guid-
ance, of the Anderson Center, now a leading institution of its kind.
Macon presents his material in an informal manner with anecdotes
of human interest and touches of local color. The book begins with
a visit by the author to the Anderson Center and a description of the
hospital and its facilities. An interview follows with a grateful patient,
the successful survivor of several operations for cancer over a twenty-
two year period. Macon then visits Clark at his ranch at Rosanky,
Bastrop County, Texas, and the remainder of the book, by far the
greater portion, is in the form of an interview with the doctor in which
he describes in his own words his early life, education, and the politics,
both state and medical, and the other vicissitudes involved in the
growth of a large, complex, and renown institution.
Randolph L. Clark, a Texas native, descended from a family of
pioneer educators in the state. Members of this family founded Add-
Ran College, the progenitor of Texas Christian University, at Thorp
Springs. In his reminiscence Clark makes interesting comments about
the various schools and hospitals involved in his education and train-
ing: The University of South Carolina, The Medical College of Vir-
ginia, The American Hospital in Paris, and the Mayo Clinic. He credits
one of his professors at the Medical College of Virginia with having
initiated his interest in cancer research in 1929.
This volume is the third in a series by N. Don Macon on the history
of the Texas Medical Center. While dealing with a subject which
from its technical nature will have limited interest from the point of
general history, the author has organized the book well and appears
to have covered the subject adequately. The book contains many
Institute of Pennsylvania Hospital
CLAIBORNE T. SMITH, JR.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 81, July 1977 - April, 1978, periodical, 1977/1978; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101205/m1/278/: accessed October 23, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.