The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 83, July 1979 - April, 1980 Page: 150
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
of large window openings, secured by wooden shutters-earlier, the
ranch had been arranged for defense with the solid walls of the buildings
forming a part of an enclosure that was completed by palisades.31 The
Francisco Flores house (1844) near Floresville, also was a two-room
dwelling with adobe walls and a roof of saplings, grass, and mud sup-
ported by oak vigas.
Importation of Spanish-Mexican influence into Texas continued dur-
ing the latter part of the nineteenth century. Most of the Spanish archi-
tectural heritage was imported into the state from the south. In the Tex-
as Panhandle, however, it was brought east from New Mexico to develop
a short-lived culture which lasted from about 1876 to 1884. Following
the carreta (cart) trails of the Comancheros, Spanish and Mexican pas-
tores (shepherds) migrated into the fertile arroyos and cafiones of the
Canadian River. While tending their herds they established plazas with
complexes of buildings, housing their communities. The plaza of Ven-
tura Barrego at one time contained twenty-four dwellings; the plaza of
Jesis Maria Trujillo consisted of a large stone corral, a long stone main
building with six rooms, and several small buildings separated by a
space from the main dwelling. The dwellings were built with walls of
adobes or slabs of sandstone, laid up in mud mortar, with roofs of adobe
structured with cottonwood vigas. However, Anglo ranchers forced these
people from the pastures and the only remnants of this culture are low
ruins of walls."'
Like the Panhandle pastores' dwellings and plazas, much of the South
Texas ranch architecture in the Spanish-Mexican tradition is gone or en-
dangered; many examples still extant are inaccessible. Although the Cor-
ralitos casa grande has been protected by a relatively new enclosure set
up around it, other buildings-such as the Nuevo Dolores dwellings-are
deteriorating rapidly; many others, like the Ramirez house, are gone
completely. Hopefully some of those that remain may be preserved on
the original sites and opened to the public for education and enjoyment
in future years. They are meaningful architectural forms that developed
honestly from inherited traditions or knowledge in response to the harsh
Texas environment-such aspects of design concern us today.
36William Kennedy, Texas: The Rise, Piogiess, and Prospects of the Republic of Texas
(Fort Worth, 1925), 404. See also San Antonio Express, May 21, 1933, p. 1.
37Information on this cultural group is available in Fabiola Cabeia de Baca, We Fed
Them Cactus (Albuquerque, 1954), 4-1o; and Elo J. Urbanovsky, "Pla7a de los Pastores,
Oldham County, Texas: Feasibility Report," mimeographed copy, Texas Tech Univer-
sity, Department of Park Administration and Horticulture (Lubbock, 1973), 1, 4-6.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 83, July 1979 - April, 1980, periodical, 1979/1980; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101207/m1/182/: accessed April 30, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.